Thursday, June 28, 2012

Do the Next Thing, a poem


I was reading through some of my old Laine's Letters printouts last night, mostly to search for her amazing frugal recipes.

I came across this poem, one those of us who love to read Elisabeth Elliot's books have known her to quote many times.

I can't tell you how often I've been very tired and found it difficult to go on when I thought of this poem and her advice to... do the next thing.  :)

A poem quoted by Elisabeth Elliot
Do The Next Thing
"At an old English parsonage down by the sea,
there came in the twilight a message to me.
Its quaint Saxon legend deeply engraven
that, as it seems to me, teaching from heaven.
And all through the hours the quiet words ring,
like a low inspiration, 'Do the next thing.'



Many a questioning, many a fear,
many a doubt hath its quieting here.
Moment by moment, let down from heaven,
time, opportunity, guidance are given.
Fear not tomorrow, child of the King,
trust that with Jesus, do the next thing.



Do it immediately, do it with prayer,
do it reliantly, casting all care.
Do it with reverence, tracing His hand,
who placed it before thee with earnest command.
Stayed on omnipotence, safe 'neath His wing,
leave all resultings, do the next thing.



Looking to Jesus, ever serener,
working or suffering be thy demeanor,
in His dear presence, the rest of His calm,
the light of His countenance, be thy psalm.
Do the next thing."

(Author Unknown)

8 comments:

Terra said...

This poem contains wonderful advice on how to live.

Rebecca said...

I really like this poem. That phrase (Do the next thing) is one I associate with Elizabeth Elliot for some reason. What a great reminder this is.

Dawn E. Brown said...

Thank you for this, it is exactly where I am at. The Lord told me to lay down my work of child care,something I love,but day after day He has shown me more scriptures to support His counsel to me. Tomorrow is my last day. I cannot afford to choose my own way, He must increase and I must decrease. Dawn E. Brown ps............I read all of your postings, and so much enjoy them.You are a real blessing in blogland.

Maggie from Stillness at Cherith said...

This post could not be more timely, at least for me =)
I'm feeling all confused and a dither about life in general. What with a death in the family, work etc etc.
I'm not sure I even know what the next thing is....
but this poem helps.
thank you

janice15 said...

Very nice poem. I love poetry...have a great afternoon..with love Janice

sherry said...

thank you for this, brenda.. so timely. years ago at a conference i attended, elisabeth elliot spoke and shared (more than a few times) about *doing the next thing*. the conference focus was *suffering*. i have the cassette tapes from that event - should break them out and have another listen. that too, would be very timely. blessings..

Cheri said...

I have always considered Elisabeth Elliot to be my mentor, though we have never met. Such a wise woman.

I printed this poem out years ago and put it on the wall of my closet where I would see it each morning as I dressed.

We moved 4 years ago and I never put it back up.

Time to remedy that....and perhaps make a little project for myself and print it out on fabric and embroider around the edges.

Yes, right after I do the next thing. :)

Vee said...

Oh I have many do the next things...wonder which really is first...why writing this comment, of course! Hope that you are staying as cool as possible and finding joy in the doing of whatever is next.