Saturday, July 09, 2022

Living the Pantry Lifestyle - Check for prices and how I prioritize what I buy for the pantry


I have noticed how the price of food and objects are either missing or harder to find these days.  When my husband was in New England, I stopped for a pizza from a restaurant where both of us have enjoyed pizza before we even knew each other.  

I was surprised (although one should not be these days) that the menu they display had the prices crossed out and a small sign was up saying the prices would be available upon ordering.  I had heard that some menus were now without prices but that was the first one I saw like that.

Reminds me of those rare times we went to a fancy restaurant and the price for lobster was usually "Market Price" since it changed according to the time of the year one was ordering.

Last week, I bought a birthday gift for Piper while I was at Meijer.  I didn't see a price but I figured it couldn't be all that bad for a baking set.  When my husband was looking through all of our receipts, he asked what I had bought for $34.50.  Yikes!  No wonder they didn't have a price on it.  

I would have taken it back but you know... granddaughters are worth it. I know she will enjoy it. Instead, that gift along with a Brambly Hedge book purchased for her collection, will be quite sufficient for a birthday surprise.  I was going to add some kind of frilly dress but it can wait until Christmas.

It was extremely hot here this week.  Our weatherman says it is the same heat we had in 2012 when we were under extreme drought conditions.  We are praying it doesn't get that bad again.  The local news station continues to warn that the crops are beginning to get distressed.

We had some rain yesterday, which is not nearly enough to relieve the drought but my deck flowers were happy.  I hope it helped the local crops, too.  It seems there has either been too much rain or too little rain these past few years. You don't hear a lot about normal weather conditions these days.

I've been asked about my pantry priorities, especially being on a budget and not having very much space.  I learned from stock up failures in the past that it didn't work for me to stock up anything in bulk.  So, I've been purchasing a bag of beans off and on until I now have a variety of dry black beans, pinto beans, navy beans, lentils, and 15-bean mix.  It is much easier for me to make them a regular part of meal planning this way.

I had two rather large bags of rice "put back", which kind of broke my "no bulk" rule.  I now remember why it didn't work because I don't want to open a 10-lb bag of rice for just a few meals.  So, I have just started putting back a few small bags of rice and this way, I can have a variety of grain mixes, rice mixes, jasmine rice, and my most recent purchase... a bag of Lundberg Organic Brown Rice.  I plan to cook the brown rice and freeze it in smaller freezer bags next week.

I concentrate on deepening the pantry by having extra cans of what I often use in recipes.  I have extra spaghetti and orzo stocked because both are easy to stock up on without taking a lot of room.  I often use orzo instead of rice in recipes.  I have a couple extra bags of Essenhaus dry noodles in the pantry but they need to be quickly rotated since they have egg in the recipe.  

Otherwise, I have used pasta that is two years old with no trouble. I store most pasta in the original boxes and the boxes are placed inside a medium size Rubbermaid container to protect them.  Orzo is usually poured into half-gallon Ball jars for easy use.

I always like to have extra canned vegetables, especially green beans and organic corn.  I have some extra cans of "cream of" soups, as well as soup to open for lunch or to add to recipes (like tomato soup).  Except for canned salmon, I didn't buy much in the way of canned meat until it was recommended we have some on hand.  I concentrated on canned chicken when the poultry virus hit. 

Of course, I have always had extra flour, sugars, salt, baking powder, baking soda, extracts, and spices.  Doing our own baking saves a lot of money (even before inflation) and I have never known a cake or a plate of cookies not to bring a smile when people need their spirits lifted.  I need to add a bag of gluten free flour or a few gluten free mixes to my baking pantry since I know a few people now who must eat gluten free.

I don't use a lot of mixes but they are handy to have in a pinch.  I do always keep one large bag of the Krusteaz pancake mix that only needs water added and one backup bag.  My husband likes those pancakes better than my made from scratch recipe.  It reminds me of my son who decided he likes boxed brownie mixes more than my made from scratch brownies.  Go figure...

I keep Old Fashioned Oatmeal on hand for breakfast and for making homemade granola.  I'm shocked by how much it has gone up in price this past year.  Of course, flour has gone up in price, too.  Especially the King Arthur brand, which is my favorite. 

I think not having very much space to store extra food helps me be more careful about what I purchase.  Pre-Y2k, I was an Admin on an emergency preparedness forum so I obviously stocked up "just in case" and back then I lived in a large house with a good size room I used as a pantry.  Now I only have some extra shelves and I need to put a lot more thought about what I buy and the footprint they will take up on the shelves.

I set aside about $20.00 on stock up day to purchase food items for the pantry.  That can still purchase cans of vegetables, fruit, soup, etc. This month more was allocated so we could purchase almonds, pecans, and cashews in bulk when we were at Sam's Club, as well as the case of green beans and the case of Bush's Original Baked Beans.  I've already used some of those.

After that, I usually purchase one or two items each week when I go to the grocery store.  On my last visit to Meijer, it was a can of Keystone Ground Beef.  It tends to sell out quickly and when it does, it can take awhile to get back in stock.  I think it was unavailable about a year the last time they sold out.  So, it is a priority since they have it some weeks and not others.

I try to have what I need to put meals on the table and they don't have to have meat at every meal.  I also look to see if I have at least a few items that I could open during a power outage.  The obvious is what is in the refrigerator that doesn't need to be cooked.  Also, most canned meats, most canned vegetables and pretty much all canned fruit can be eaten without cooking. 

With prices being what they are now for food (and everything else), I don't want to waste anything.  This next week, I plan to take the cans out of my kitchen cabinets and check for dates (I now put the Use By date on the top of the can with a Sharpie before putting them on the shelf).  I will make a list of what needs to be used soon and concentrate on using them in recipes soon.

Almost all food can be used past the Use By date and some food like pasta is good long after the Use By date.  Food like salt, vinegar, honey, etc. last almost indefinitely.  I have heard that real maple syrup does but it never lasts that long in our house.  ;)

I have mentioned that food sold in aseptic containers need to be used before the Use By date if possible.  I have had some go bad even before the date so I rotate them in and out before the date these days.  Mold has been found in the containers that were past the Use By date.  Especially in juice packs and such.  Perhaps because they have a lot of sugar?  I don't know for certain.

I continue to have to tweak shopping habits that have worked for decades.  Not, anymore.  I finally gave in and I'm ordering the "wet" cat food online.  For awhile I could buy enough cat food for Florentine by going to numerous stores, even though it was "hit and miss".

It finally became very difficult to find any of her favorites at any of the stores.  I realize places like Wal-Mart and Kroger are national stores but at least they have local workers and I tried to give them my business as long as possible.

Like most people, I am stunned just about every week by how quickly prices are going up.  So, anything we can put in the pantry now will be a hedge against inflation later.  Just remember lessons learned from Y2k... buy extra of what you actually use already.

I have heard numerous people recommending purchasing the food you will need for the Holidays now.  Not a bad idea if you have the room.

7 comments:

Anna Gartin said...

Good plans on stocking up it really is important to only buy what you use, also make a list of what can be substituted in place of something else. And shelf stable foods that can be used in a power outage and a source to cook food is good not everyone has a gas stove. I have a couple Fondue pots and fuel to use in them. I have a butane stove top burner that I can cook on and 2 non electric coffee pots that I can use to make coffee on that as well. I can do All Things once I've had a couple cups of coffee lol.

Vee said...

Room is certainly an issue for many of us. Having just cleared out a small pantry cupboard, I do have a little more room. It was painful to toss out all those puddings and jellos, but they were expired by many years. Have you also heard that, given a choice, it is best to buy canned goods that must be opened with a can opener rather than the flip lids? Seems the flipped lids do not last as long as the old fashioned cans.

What about making a little apron for Piper to go with her birthday bake set?

Linda said...

I love hearing your thoughts and practices on keeping the pantry. I'm trying to save $$ by using what we have both in the pantry and freezer.....and now I realize I need to stock up on some things as the prices may only continue to climb. It can be a fun challenge to eat well on a small budget!

Jenny said...

I haven't noticed no-prices in my area. But I've pretty much always asked if I can't find a price. It's one thing I like about Walmart....they have those scanners scattered around the store & you don't have to ask someone what the price is. You can just scan it yourself.

I also think thrifting is a great place to find nice gifts. Especially anything glass. It can be cleaned up like new. I've found glass serving sets in the original box & gifted them. You maybe could find a frilly dress through thrifting.

I looked back over the US drought map. I found one that goes back to 2000. 2012 was a dry year but I think the 1990s were worse in my area. It's dry here. We're on the edge of being considered a drought. One thing I bought this year is a water meter. It was around $12 or so from Amazon. It's saving me so much work & water. Before I water, I walk around with the meter & measure the moisture content in containers & beds. I've found that many things I used to water every day or every other day in this heat are holding the moisture & I don't need to water that often. We haven't had rain for over a month. Accuweather says no rain for us until October! We have small chances for scattered rain tossed into the forecast but a scattered shower isn't really helpful when it's this hot. You still have to water in the humidity of it.

I've started putting the use by date on top as well...that is so helpful. I've let some food go bad recently...mostly fresh things that I did not stay on top of. I need to go through my canned foods as well because I have things there that I bought in 2020 when I took what I could get...we haven't really eaten them so I need to decide what to do with them.

One good thing in my area...I noticed some price drops on quite a few things when I shopped recently. And gas had dropped .30 a gallon at most of the stations in my area.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Good reminder to rotate my canned goods in the pantry as I’ve done auite a few big stock up shops since early 2020 but haven’t been as diligent to move the ‘back to front’ when packing them in the shelves. 🙄
In Australia also, inflation is sending food prices higher and higher each week, plus the four devastating floods over the past year in our key growing states have wiped out the majority supply of fresh produce so things like one lettuce are priced at $10 each.
More people simply cannot afford to eat, especially with rising interest rates, and fuel at almost $10 a gallon. My husband has been spending $150 a week just on fuel to get to and from work six days a week.
But…none of this is a surprise to God, so we follow the example of the ant, and put away extra food supplies so that we do not lack in these worsening times.
I really enjoy your Sunday posts, Brenda. Food for thought. 😊 Bless you!

Kathy T. said...

It was so hot here in TX too. Our weatherman this morning said the last time it was this hot on yesterday's date Eisenhower was in office! Yikes! I am on medication that makes me so intolerant of the heat so I pretty much have to stay indoors. I can't wait till October when it starts to cool down a little at least so I can have my morning time with God on my back porch without breaking into a sweat at 7 in the morning. Ugh

Deanna Rabe said...

I recently bought two 10 pound bags of flour rather than one 25 pound bag. The 10# bags have a zipper seal and are working well. I buy smaller bags of rice, too.