Sunday, April 25, 2021

Sunday Afternoon Tea - Our homes minister to us in uncertain times


This past week included a lot of quiet hours as I had a mild case of the flu for a few days and was out of commission another day after my usual monthly eye injection.  The unexpected April snowy wonderland took me back to winter, hot beverages, and cozy thoughts of fluffing the nest and led to my finishing a few creative projects around the house later in the week.

On one of these days, I was watching quite a few YouTube videos, including catching up on some episodes of a long time favorite, Parisienne Farmgirl.  Although her style of decorating is a combination of American Country and French, it is close enough to my own style of American Country and English that I get all kinds of ideas.  Not to mention that she is a lot of fun to watch.

I have had her self-published book for a few years now.  Sometimes I keep it on the coffee table just to peruse the lovely photos and once in awhile to try one of her recipes.  You may know her also from the Homemaker Chic podcast she does with her best friend, Shaye Elliott of The Elliott Homestead.

YouTube makes suggestions for videos and vlogs similar in style and one in particular looked interesting enough to watch.  It was a video called She Holds Dearly talking about a surprising new trend in decorating.  It seems that one effect of people staying home for long periods of time due to the COVID lock downs is that many people are leaving the all white minimalist farmhouse look and turning to a new cozy style called Cottagecore.

People tend to turn to their homes in difficult times.  Have you ever noticed photos of kitchens from the Depression era?  They were often colorful and cozy.  With either yellow or pastel walls, colorful tablecloths, primary color accents, and accessories which reflected the personality of the homemaker.  Even the aprons they wore then tended to be pretty.

When one works full time outside of the home... and I've been there so I understand... we tend to not notice our surroundings at home as much.  We are mainly at home to unwind in front of the TV at night, perhaps have meals there, sleep, and begin all over again.  Because we are away so much, our Saturdays are spent catching up on housework.  There is little time for creativity.

Imagine suddenly, as happened a year ago, finding yourself at home pretty much all the time.  Perhaps you got out to get groceries but otherwise, you were staring at the walls and for many apparently, brought about a need for the comfort which home can provide.  What was fine for a few hours a day did not fill the emotional void which is brought on by being at home all day, every day.

Homemakers for millennia have understood this.  In a time when most women were home full time, it was much more likely that the homes reflected their creativity and their personality.  Just as the kitchen was a laboratory for creating delicious things to eat, the houses were a blank canvas for what Edith Schaeffer called "the hidden art of homemaking". 

I think that is one of the things I love about the Elizabeth Goudge books and in many of the D. E. Stevenson novels, an understanding of how our homes have an effect on us individually, our families, and even our friends.  Houses are often another character in their books.  

Our home is a unique place, mostly reflecting my personality.  My husband likes most of it but not my fondness for gallery walls.  He says there are no empty spaces on our walls, which is not true but I do understand how one who prefers a minimalist look to walls would think that way.  I like my walls to tell a story.

It has taken me a lifetime to not apologize for the way I prefer to decorate.  Especially as the minimalist looks has been popular.  For I like favorite stuff to be displayed.  Not expensive stuff but those that have been found on treasure hunts in thrift shops, antique malls, garage sales, etc. 

I love beautiful transferware china and crystal and and pretty teacups and silver plate and pewter and brass and wood and pottery.  I love very early American items as well as English country (which my daughter reminded me is pretty much the same thing... England being the mother country and all).

I love old books and new books and cookbooks.  I love scented candles and candlelight at the table. I love beautiful artwork as well as amateur paintings on canvas purchased at thrift stores.  I love a combination of real plants and fake plants, lace and brocade, sheers and drapes.  I prefer a home to look like a home and not a hotel that I am just passing through for the night.

I found it interesting that people began to cook during the shutdowns more than they ever cooked before and many came to enjoy spending time in the kitchen.  There is a joy that comes with not being rushed in the kitchen as one is when we start dinner after working all day elsewhere.  When chopping and stirring become a form of relaxation and the aroma of soup and bread replaces the finest perfumes.

My home ministers to me because it contains numerous gifts from friends and loved ones.  I have memories of when a photo was taken, when a book on my shelf was first read, and the people who have sat around our table during Holidays and everyday meals.  It is the only place on the earth where everything, from the music that is played, the videos to be watched, the books on the shelves, and the food in the pantry all reflect what I love in the world.

We are told that Jesus is preparing a home for us and I have a feeling that when we see that home for the first time, we will realize it is exactly what we have longed for all of our life.  Our attempts to create a home here is only a small reflection of what He is preparing.

In the meantime, may our homes reflect comfort and cozy and that which makes our heart sing.  May it be filled with the aromas of good cooking coming from the kitchen.  May it at times be full of creative clutter as we are working on a project for ourselves or with our children.

Most of all, may our homes be a place where God's Word is believed and lived out.  Where those who are fearful can find a respite.  Where the hungry can be fed and the tired find rest.  A place where children are welcome and where the elderly are respected.  May these imperfect homes minister to us until that day we go Home.

Mentioned in this Blog Post

Parisienne Farmgirl YouTube Channel... here.

From France to the Farm book... here.

Homemaking Chic podcast... here.

She Holds Dearly decorating video... here.

The Hidden Art of Homemaking (one of my favorite books)... here.

Disclaimer:  Most links to Amazon.com are Associate links.

ImageAfternoon Tea by Tracey Hall

6 comments:

Vee said...

Lovely graphic.♥️

Right after reading your post, I struck off on an adventure looking up "cottage core" because it sounded so appealing. After spending about an hour "researching," I am thoroughly shocked. Who would have dictated that this style is for a certain people group? 🤦🏻‍♀️ It seems pretty arbitrary to me so I'm not buying that assignation. Cottage Core is a bit Hobbit cozy for my tastes, but I like many aspects of it. Love Angela...oh for a kitchen like hers. ☺️

Thank you for the links. I have enjoyed following them.

I had a miserable 2020 and 2021 is no picnic yet either. How good that some found a way to enjoy their homes and their kitchens. As it was, I gained the covid 20. Thankfully, they are gone now. I don't want much friendship time with my kitchen.🥴 If one must spend days upon end at home, it is best to consider it just that rather than a tomb.

Anonymous said...

I love that you bring the Word of God into it, and yes you have made me look at my own homemaking in new light. Thank you. Love Lily

Deanna Rabe said...

I love Angela from Parisienne Farmgirl! Her videos are great, and I like the podcast very much too!

You are right about our homes ministering to us. I love that I've been able to make a home for my family as part of my daily life work. I'm grateful for a mentor (Emilie Barnes) who encouraged me to embrace that desire I had in my heart as a young woman and to go for it! I've been in people's homes where it felt like a motel. Not just because they embraced minimalism but because they simply did not know how to make a home.

This past year has gotten our attention in a variety of different areas and brought people to ponder change, and begin to make those changes. I think they'll be for the betterment of our culture long term.

Anonymous said...

Yes "Cottage Core" they have finally thought up a name for my "style" !!! before I would say it is " old fashioned ,Grandma ,farmhousey, English cottage ,eclectic " LOL Karen

Instagram.com/melissasnotes said...

Such a delightful piece of artwork that you chose for this Post!
One particular nice thing that my husband has been great about in our home is that he keeps up with the upkeep and fixes things at the time they break (allowing that we have the money at the time)...his thinking is "we live here every day, why spend so much money on a "vacation" for just 2 weeks out of the year?"
Our home is right now in disarray as we pack up our belongings for our move back to Ohio...but the result in one month will be worth it when we are together with our family!
Thank you for sharing.

Melissa said...

Oops, I really didn't mean for this to be from an unknown person. We have a new e-mail address and I keep forgetting to change back to my regular one!
Such a delightful piece of artwork that you chose for this Post!
One particular nice thing that my husband has been great about in our home is that he keeps up with the upkeep and fixes things at the time they break (allowing that we have the money at the time)...his thinking is "we live here every day, why spend so much money on a "vacation" for just 2 weeks out of the year?"
Our home is right now in disarray as we pack up our belongings for our move back to Ohio...but the result in one month will be worth it when we are together with our family!
Thank you for sharing.