Thursday, January 05, 2023

When the Unexpected Happens


I had planned to write on Christmas day but that was the day I ran out of long term insulin and became very sick.  I spent New Year's Day in the ER for seven hours hooked up to an IV.

To make a very long story short, I have been getting both of my insulins through a special program at my clinic.  Previous to both COVID and a change in staff at the clinic, I received my insulin like clock work.

First COVID arrived and the long term insulin I did use became unavailable because it came from another country.  So, they changed me to another insulin that was made in America and everything was fine for awhile.  Since late Summer, problems began to arise and that resulted in running out of long term insulin.

On New Year's Day, I awoke with my blood sugar over 500 and that meant I needed immediate attention.  The medical staff in the ER were wonderful and they were able to send me home with a vial of Lantus (a long term insulin I have never used) only because I had saved the syringes left over from when I switched to insulin pens. Sometimes holding on to items in case of an emergency pays off.

I had a scheduled appointment with my doctor, who is semi-retired, on Tuesday and told him everything that has been going on.  He is working on finding out why this is happening, whether it is their employees at fault or the drug company (or a combination of both).  He is also working on getting me more long term insulin.

I was so sick that I couldn't even sit at the desk to write.  So, I am sorry that I haven't checked in at all.  I'm half way through the vial of Lantus from the hospital and praying my doctor can find where that last shipment of my long term insulin was lost.

There is nothing like going through a crisis to improve your prayer life.  I am feeling sick but the Lantus has stabilized my blood sugar so it is no longer spiking. Whenever something like this happens, it reminds me that God created our bodies to work beautifully.  When one organ stops working (as in Type 1 diabetes, which affects the pancreas and then the thyroid), life becomes complicated.

Before this happened, we had the extreme cold and winds come through.  Our meteorologist reported that the system was very similar to what caused the Blizzard of 1978, only with much less snow (thank God!).

My son and his family were able to come for our Christmas Eve celebration.  I kept telling him to be safe and he reminded me his car is a 4 x 4.  We had a wonderful time together and I am so thankful we had this time together before I became so ill.

This particular trial is still waiting for an end to it.  My hope is that I get a call today or tomorrow that they have insulin for me.  I may decide to purchase prescription insurance and pay the ridiculous co-pays for insulin.  Unless one is a diabetic, they have no idea how expensive long term insulin can be.  The program at the clinic saved me a great deal.

I won't be able to write a long post about my reading last year but I can share my favorite book of 2022 and my most recent book that I enjoyed.  My favorite book was The Last Bookshop in London.  It was one of the best novels I have read in a long time.  It is such a good reminder of what people living in London went through during WWII and how books help us through hard times.

I had purchased Lilibet the Brave: The Unusual Childhood of an Unlikely Queen for Piper's Christmas but even though I had preordered it, the book would not be shipped until after Christmas.  So, I ordered her another book and I kept this for later.

I follow Katy Rose, the author and illustrator, on Instagram but she is also a friend of people I care about.  They had given the book great reviews.  It written for children so the biography of the queen as a child through when she becomes queen is very simple but informative.  The illustrations are rather old fashioned, much like the era when the queen was a child.

It is a beautiful, simple story about how a child was raised with morals and ethics in such a way that while she was not suppose to ever be the queen, she was prepared for her role and stepped into it with grace.  I'm saving the book for Piper's birthday but I will read it again prior to Summer.

I had planned to catch up on Christmas cards and thank you letters during this time but that became impossible.  I do still hope to get back in touch with friends but in the meantime, thank you to everyone who made Christmas special (and friends who have been so giving for many years).

I will be popping in now and then with new blog posts, although probably not on weekends.  Sometimes a Sunday style of post, other times a Pantry post.  I'm still writing, just not on a regular schedule now.  Think of me as your neighbor who pops in once in awhile for morning coffee or afternoon tea.  ;)

Mentioned in this Blog Post

The Last Bookshop in London is available... here.

Lilibet the Brave: The Unusual Childhood of an Unlikely Queen is available... here.

Disclaimer:  Most links to Amazon.com are Associate links.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for you! Thankful you are doing better.

Mrs. White said...

I hope you get better very soon! Thank you for the book recommendations. They both sound great. Have a wonderful day! God bless you!

Anonymous said...

So sorry you had such a scary experience.
But thankful you are better and had Christmas
with your family before you got sick. I am missing
your weekly post but understand. So I look forward
to the surprise posts. Love and blessings. Sharon D.

Traveling Oltmans said...

Hi I am not sure if you are in the US. If so, I believe insulin costs were regulated effective Jan 1 by the government…that is all I know but worth checking.

Morning's Minion said...

What a very frightening experience.
A medication-dependent condition surely has to have the continued lifeline of available meds.
I'm hoping something can be resolved soon. I think that you have been a beacon of encouragement for many who must adjust to difficult physical ailments [that sounds a bit stuffy] but I trust you'll know what I mean.

Vee said...


😳

I am in shock because my pharmacist has been hinting that all is not well with
supply. This is so unacceptable and I am sad that you had to suffer all this through
no fault of your own. Joining you in prayer for a return to feeling well AND
for the insulin you need to be there when you need it.

Your mention of your favorite book this past year makes me want to learn more so I'll be following your link.

Oh, I had a number of gifts show up after Christmas. Always exciting.

Take care. I love that Scripture you shared and the entire story surrounding it. God is good. He loves us so.
I'm looking for the Scripture you shared...specifically Mark 6:31. Hmmm...well someone did! I think I got my blogs confused.

BeBe said...

Was so relieved to hear you came through this trial intact. ER's are scary when you get to be our age. Praying that your lifeline of insulin will soon be secured and you can get back to writing your uplifting posts. {{{{Hugs to my Brenfren}}}}

Rain said...

I am so sorry to hear of your trials. My son is also Type 1 and I know first hand how challenging it can be. I just wish the pharma industry would do the right thing and make insulin affordable for all.
Prayers for your insulin to be sorted.

Deanna Rabe said...

Oh Brenda! I am so sorry! I’m praying your doctor will figure out a solution.

I’ve been dealing with my mobility issues and that’s included chiropractic care. Still working on getting this properly aligned.

Much love, friend!

Nadege said...

Good evening. Please feel free to NOT post this comment if it is too personal. I am so sorry you are having such difficulties getting your much-needed insulin.

Re Insulin - Have you tried the non-prescription insulin at Walmart?

My husband has type 1 diabetes and was on 2 types of insulin. We suffered a job loss and suddenly became. “Uninsured” as the COBRA benefits were a joke. We then got our insulin in Canada at a greatly reduced cost. Then COVID hit and we weren’t able to go.

We decided to try the over-the-counter insulin at Walmart and BINGO problem solved. He takes only 1 type of insulin (Novolin 70/30) now and his blood sugar is controlled.

Just wanted to share this in case you hadn’t heard of it.

BTW, what a horrible medical system we have in America as I know many people whether due to job loss or other issues who are rationing their medication or even doing without because there are NO safety nets for so many Americans.

Sallie Borrink said...

I mentioned to David just a few hours ago, "When Brenda said she wasn't going to write regularly any longer, she meant it."

I'm so sorry to hear about the reason you've been MIA. I pray you continue to recover quickly and are able to get the answers you need!

Hugs,
Sallie

Instagram.com/melissasnotes said...

Oh Brenda, I'm so sorry hear about your recent health problem, but thankful that you are on the other side of it now. Hopefully your Dr. can figure out the problem.
Yes, I read the Last Bookshop and enjoyed it also. I'm still reading "The Christmas Chronicles" by Nigel Slater and enjoying it immensely, thank you for that recommendation too. Also lingering with Christmas music, thoughts still, as some people have just finished up with The Twelve Days of Christmas.
Thank you for sharing. Take care.

Anonymous said...

🙏

Carol in Texas said...

What an alarming post from you! I am so glad you survived that ordeal, and I hope your doctor is able to find a source of the insulin you require. I’ll keep you in my prayers. I do so enjoy your writing and the messages you share with your readers. Please keep us informed as you are able. I’m going to request the book you enjoyed so much…..it sounds very good.

sonrie said...

hi, I've read here for about a year I think and I just wanted to say that I am sorry for your recent illness. I hope you are feeling better, and can get your insulin more reliably. That sounded scary.

I also read the Last Bookshop in London this year and thoroughly enjoyed it! One similar book you may like is a middle grade book set in the same era: A Place to Hang the Moon by Kate Albus. Have you read it?

mdoe37 said...

I've always worried about this for you. My ex was a type 1 brittle diabetic and so I know how it goes. He had pretty good insurance but I do know that a three months' pen supply for just one insulin would have been $4000 regular price. The test strips ran about $700. We even paid the higher cost to pick up his prescriptions at Walmart because the cheaper mail order pharmacy we were required to use was unreliable....and once even sent the insulin regular shipment without ice packs. (not kidding)

Its criminal. Period.

I do know that Walmart carries their brand of insulins which are quite a bit cheaper. Fortunately, or unfortunately, the drug companies keep coming up with new and improved and the doctors prescribe them....possibly leaving out more affordable options Its sad one has to consider maybe using something slightly less effective that they can afford rather than optimal medical that is out of reach financially.

Please drop a line to give us an update on your insulin supply.

Ann Stevens said...

So glad to see you back on the blog. But sad to hear what you've been going through with your health. I certainly will be praying that you find a long term reliable source for your particular insulin because it's obviously life threatening for you to be without it. These are difficult times for so many in various ways and our prayer lives surely grow because of it. God bless and keep you and your loves safe in His care.

Marie said...

I'm so sorry you had such trouble with your insulin. But it is a blessing to hear that you are better. Your blog is always encouraging and uplifting. Get a good rest now!

lynneinMN said...

Finally got to read this post...I am so sorry of your emergency illness! May He heal you, and bring you the insulin you need. May your New Year be full of Blessings! LynneinMN

savannah said...

I'm so sorry your going through this.
It is shocking to me that this is happening. This should be a top priority with our government.
Production of medication in this country.
The cost of medication is obscene.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear you have been ill and to hear about the problems with obtaining your insulin. Will pray for these problems to be resolved.

Margie from Toronto said...

So sorry to read how ill you have been. Of course your health must come first. I will pop back now and again and look forward to reading a post whenever you feel able.
Prayers that the issue with your insulin gets sorted quickly. Take care.

The Journey said...

Dear friend- sorry you had to go through that- hopefully, they will find a good supplky of meds for you. Things are changing so fast. I pray this yr is a little easier for all of us. It promises so many changes.

Anonymous said...

I hope that by now - Jan 8 - you have what you need. I will be praying for your situation as I know God has a solution. How I wish we didn’t have to go through these difficulties!! May the Lord be with you, bless you with His comfort and provide for your needs.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you've had a rough time with the insulin. Hope they get that sorted out.
Get well soon.

Unknown said...

Oh my. Sorry to hear you weren’t feeling well! Praying for you and a steady supply of your insulin!
Thanks much for posting an update when you have a chance So appreciate your blog and look forward to hearing from you❤️

Valerie said...

Have been reading your blog for years, and what a blessing it's been! Your posts are always so thoughtful and thought provoking. Your faith through your trials has inspired me in mine. Praying for the insulin situation to be resolved soon, knowing God will be faithful in this. Also praying for your strength and recovery from the ER visit. So pleased to see you will continue posting as energy levels allow. I very strongly believe that yours is a much needed voice of faith and reason in these times.

Kay said...

Oh mercy! Thank you Father God for your answers to prayers.

Please dear, take care of you. Write only when you feel strong enough. I've learned so much from you on preparedness and so many of my favorite books came by your suggestions. I relate to your spiritual journey. I feel we are kindred spirits.

I will miss the more regularly scheduled posts but I want you to be healthy and safe.

**hugs**

A Woman that Fears the Lord said...

I am so sorry to hear how ill you have been. I find this season of life very interesting at times. A continual reminder that these bodies were not made to last forever. I pray that you receive your long term insulin quickly (please, Lord!) and that your body will heal from this trial. Thank you for sharing your life and for being so transparent.

I am currently reading a book by Dr. Jim Halla called, How to be a God-pleasing patient: A biblical approach to receiving medical care. :-)