Sunday, May 29, 2022

Sunday Afternoon Tea - You prepare a table in the presence of my enemies


I absolutely love the 23rd Psalm, it is my most read section of the Bible and perhaps the most pondered of all the Scriptures.  While each verse has meant a lot to me over the years, the one I think of quite often is verse 5, "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies".

I think I am at my happiest when sitting around the table with good food and people I care for, whether family or friends.  There are a lot of fond memories of table times, from the simplest breakfast out at a diner with my mother, to afternoon tea in tea rooms, to Holiday meals, to those times I have been to a really fancy restaurant.

Have you ever thought about what God was thinking when he added "in the presence of my enemies"?  I am certain if I did a deep dive into commentaries and Hebrew studies, I could find out more than is obvious.  But I like to think of it in the way it makes me feel... God values the table as much, and most likely even more, than I do.

He understands that we are made of dust and that while someday we will live in perfect bodies, now they are fragile and flawed.  He knows we are born into a world where there is an enemy at work "like a stalking lion".  He knows the fatigue all of his people feel at times from fighting the good battle, that which keeps the faith.

So, I love how he prepares a table for us, not only for our pleasure and delight but in the presence of our enemy here on earth.  I know King David had experiences with real life in-your-face military enemies as well as enemies in his own home but all of us deal with those enemies who are people and circumstances our enemy uses against us.  

God has provided special times in the presence of my earthly enemies when I was fatigued spiritually and physically.

I remember one such real meal that took place a long time ago when we were visiting our daughter's family in New England.  My son-in-law's parents took my husband and me to brunch at a beautiful restaurant located in a wooded area. The large windows looked out at all the natural beauty.  Even the drive through the Connecticut woods was magical.

It is always wonderful to break bread with people we like, especially those who love Jesus and our mutual grandchildren.  I remember eating the delicious food and thinking of Psalms 23:5 for I felt it was a gift of God and I knew I would remember it for a long time.

This was during the especially difficult years we went through before moving to where we now live.  I felt like, if one were keeping score, it would be as if the devil and his minions were hitting one grand slam home run after another while we were striking out.

(Please excuse baseball analogies but I live with a Chicago White Sox fan who rarely misses a game on TV.)

That meal was special in itself but even more so because it was a lovely respite in the midst of a long and difficult trial.  It also reminded me of the goodness of God and how much He loves His children.

While the obvious "table" we would think of is one that includes fellowship and food, I have also seen him prepare special things that delighted me and gave me renewed strength that I knew were gifts from God.  Sometimes, I have come across items at Goodwill and other thrift stores that only God knew were a desire of my heart.

That to me is always a sign that He has prepared something special for me (and/or my loved ones) in the presence of the darkness of this world.  One author I like calls these God Winks and I do quite like that idea. 

I have learned through the years to look for God in the midst of not only difficult days but even when surrounded by all that is lovely.  I need to remember that He is the one who prepares the table and that manifests in many ways in our life.  Not only in times of trials but when everything is going well.

I heard an interesting talk by Louie Giglio, based on his book Don't Give the Enemy a Seat at Your Table.  It looked at this verse from a different perspective, that God prepares a table for us and then many of us invite the enemy to our table.   It is about controlling our thoughts, which I wrote about last week. I  never looked at it that way before.

However, I still like to think of the simple intent of this verse.  That God does prepare a table for us and you know what? He has a very special table planned for our future.  I love to think about what the food and fellowship will be like at The Marriage Supper of the Lamb.  It will all be chosen by Him and I am certain it will be the most wonderful celebration, beyond what any of us have ever even thought of.

This verse should remind us that even when it doesn't seem like it, we are always in His thoughts.  He loved us so much that the Father sent Jesus, who willingly went to the cross.  I can't imagine what the eternal future is like.  

It has to be so amazing and lovely that it was worth it to Jesus to be the sacrificial lamb to purchase back the Keys to the Kingdom from the enemy. His death and resurrection restored our place in Heaven with God... legally. 

For you and for me.  He says it is beyond anything we can ask or think.

Maranatha! 

Mentioned in this Blog Post

Don't Give the Enemy a Seat at Your Table... info here.

Disclaimer:  Most links to Amazon.com are Associate links.

Image:  A lovely Afternoon Tea with my daughter, Elisabeth, and Faith.  It is hard to believe Elisabeth is getting married next month!

5 comments:

Annabel said...

This strikes such a cord with me. Our family have always gathered around a really big table. For many years it was my Nanas huge kitchen table. We each hd "our place" at the table. Nana cooked up great roast dinners or lunches and wonderful deserts. They were all happy times at that table. In my life I am lucky that I was one of the people blessed to gather there. My parents have a huge table at their farm. Dad sat at the head. Again we all had "our place" and so many celebrations held there. And still going. I feel that this verse is deeper than we know as even on the surface it is beautiful.

Vee said...

She is?! These things always come as a surprise to me. 👰🏻‍♀️

Okay, this Scripture always makes me wonder why in the world we eat in the presence of our enemies.
I mean, I want to eat, but do I have to have my enemies watching? I want them far, far away. So there must be
more to it that I just don't get.

A blessed Memorial Day to you and Mr. Coffee.

Suzan said...

How I long for the day. Wise words.

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Loved, loved, loved your post today, Brenda. It warmed my heart and tickled my fancy and made me love Him all the more. Thank you, dear lady!

Nancy said...

What a soothing and lovely post. I needed this today.