Saturday, November 13, 2021

Living the Pantry Lifestyle - Stocking up seasonally


One of the things I enjoy about shopping at Aldi is their seasonal offerings.  I have found it best to purchase early if you want to make certain they have what you want to buy.  They have started putting out their Christmas items but the only things I bought extra last week were a package of specialty crackers and a package of sliced salami.  I had purchased cheddar with cranberries while shopping a week earlier.

I am, just a little at a time, purchasing those foods I would use on a Christmas charcuterie board if I decide to put one together over the Holidays.  Things like crackers, cheese, and sliced meats with a far off Use By date.  

Should I not put one together, they will be used for simple meals over cold weather months. By purchasing a couple items at a time, it stretches out the cost since they can be a little expensive... especially the cheese.

I mostly keep items I use the most on my pantry shelves, those needed for everyday meals and baking.   However, these seasonal specialties at Aldi has made it possible to add one or two new food items to the pantry and freezer.  

During their Summer offerings, I added a few pizzas made of biscuit dough and covered with sausage gravy.  I thought them quite wonderful, my husband (as I imagined) thought just the photo on the box was disgusting.

However, they made a special treat for my lunch a few times and leftovers heated up very well.  I should say though, I tried just one first to see if I liked it. I do not stock anything I haven't tried after many (many) lessons learned the hard way.

During their Fall Octoberfest, I added two jars of their red cabbage and apples after trying one and finding it quite tasty.  Even my husband thought was passable, which means he will eat it if served at dinner.  They will offer nutrition as well as something different to a pork dish this winter.  

This is the season I also add one of their German mustards and cream style horseradish to my condiment shelf. Mustards have a very long shelf life and the cream style horseradish will be good for about a year if stored in the refrigerator.

They have not put out all of their Holiday offerings but besides the cheddar cheese and thin crackers, I was able to get a turkey breast after not finding one at Meijer. They had reasonably priced big turkeys but not many.  I haven't been back to see if they replenished their stock.

However, I am hoping they get my favorite Aldi Holiday offerings in soon.  That is their various Christmas candy selections.  They have very reasonably priced German candy offerings (usually by the candy makers who make their European chocolate they sell all year).  Especially their gorgeous foil wrapped vintage ornament looking chocolates that are sold in bags. I use them for gifts and stocking stuffers.

Other good pantry offerings from stores like Meijer and Kroger are summer sausages and salami that does not need to be refrigerated until sliced.  Gift boxes of such meat and cheese often go on sale as much as half off after the Holidays.

Speaking of gifts, I love to give the gift of "pantry" for Christmas, people just don't know that is what it is.  I never know what to get my son and daughter-in-law since they can afford to buy whatever they need.  So, for a few years I have been putting together a gift bag of my favorite gourmet items... like very good olive oil, good balsamic vinegar, herbs and spices they may not have tried (he was happy to try the sumac last year), etc. These can also be purchased a little at a time.

Another wonderful gift is a simple charcuterie board (you can use just a simple flat cutting board, if you want) in a gift bag along with a good cheddar cheese or a wedge of parmesean-reggiano, a salami, and anything else you would want to add.  If you type in charcuterie board to a search engine, you will get a lot of delightful suggestions.

I didn't do very much for the pantry this week but when I was looking at the Use By dates when I had everything out from the antique yellow pantry, I noticed that there were two jars of lemon curd needing to be used soon.  So, one day this week, I took out a package of six miniature graham cracker crusts (they work better when it is just for the two of us) and the last container of Cool Whip from the deep freeze.

I spooned lemon curd in each of the little graham cracker crusts and chilled them awhile to get firm.  Then I added a tablespoon or two (or three) of Cool Whip on each mini lemon pie.   Everything was from the pantry, it was very easy, and since I used the package of small graham cracker crusts, it was easy for me to enjoy one of them and leave the rest in the refrigerator for my husband to enjoy over a few days.  

Should you want to use a large graham cracker crust pie shell, you would probably need two jars of lemon curd. Although you could fold in some of the Cool Whip to stretch one jar. Of course, you can also use a can of pie filling.  I have the lemon curd on hand for when I make lemon cream scones.

For today's cookbook recommendations, I thought I would share one that I use all year round and three oldies but goodies I use during the Holidays for ideas.  Thanksgiving dinner is "set in stone" but I'm always willing to try new things around Christmas (as long as there is always ham and Grandma's creamy cheese potatoes as part of the offerings).


I have recommended the first book a couple of times.  It is a little pricey because it is self published by a homeschool family that I have followed for many years on social media. It is always good to purchase from local and/or online families working hard to bring in an income.

Their book is called Cozy Christmas Baking: A Hygge-Inspired Christmas by Abby Jo VanHoutan.  I LOVE this high quality paperback cookbook.  It would also make an excellent gift for cookbook collectors who love to bake.  

You can find more information for the high quality paperback book... here and the kindle version... here.


The second book is one of my long time favorites by Marge Clark called Christmas Thyme at Oak Hill Farm.  I often pull this book off the shelf in November just to enjoy reading through it and trying old and new recipes. It also contains Christmas craft ideas. The photos are very "1990s" but that is okay, it makes me love them even more.

This book is available new and used third-party... here.


The third book is Marcia Adams Christmas in the Heartland.  If you are old enough, you may remember her Amish cooking PBS shows and books.  This book contains recipes and traditions from all over the United States and is also a book that I take off the shelves in November.  

It offers recipes and instructions for everything from Moravian traditions in Pennsylvania, to Victorian traditions, to a "Rustic Country Christmas" in Indiana, and many more. It is also from the 1990s and the photos are delightfully nostalgic to me.  I met the author during a book signing for one of her Amish cooking books at one time.

More information can be found for third-party copies... here.  I have the quality paperback edition.  The photo is of the hardback copy cover.


The fourth book I take off the shelf in November is Holiday Fare: Favorite Williamsburg Recipes by John Gonzales.  My husband and I spent a week at Colonial Williamsburg about ten years ago with my daughter's family during one of their Homeschool Weeks.

My daughter gifted me a cooking class/dinner with a well known Williamsburg chef and it was one of our fondest memories of any mother-daughter outing.  Since then, I have collected a few Colonial Williamsburg cookbooks at library sales and third-party on Amazon for just a few dollars.

If you enjoy Colonial American traditions and recipes, you will love this book. There are photos of every completed recipe, too.  More information for third-party copies can be found... here.


There is a brand new Christmas at Williamsburg book that I have put on my Wish List.  If you also love Colonial Williamsburg, have a look... here.

I will scan my other bookshelves for more Holiday cookbooks.  Sometimes I tuck them in with their authors other books.

Mentioned in this Blog Post

My favorite scone recipe can be found... here.

Disclaimer:  Most links to Amazon.com are Associate links.

Image: I was using Bonne Maman lemon curd last week but this is a photo of thumbprint cookies with lemon curd instead of preserves.  I plan to make them again this year but I have since learned that you can add the lemon curd just a few minutes before the cookies are baked so it does not turn as dark.

4 comments:

Instagram.com/melissasnotes said...

We also love Williamsburg, went there again to celebrate our 40th Anniversary a few years ago.
I bought a home/canned jar of apple pie sauce/jam and I think I will use some of it on crackers as you suggested for a charcuterie board. Celebrating the every day warrant these delights!
Trying to find our special pizza sauce, which is really just Del Monte Italian stewed tomatoes, is becoming difficult again. Just as you do, now that we live in the country we plan our shopping trip in to the bigger city a lot more detailed now. I actually call ahead at the grocery store to make sure they have that item in stock. Sometimes a search on the internet will tell you if the store has it.
Thank you for the cookbook suggestions, I love looking at them for their pictures also.
Blessings for a grateful Thanksgiving for you and your family. I appreciate all of your time in Blogging and researching things and passing them on to us.

Anonymous said...

Love the idea of buying a few gourmet/specialty items for the pantry to use the whole year through(when the "Use by" dates allow). And, some of my favorite holiday books are from the 80's and 90's. To me, the photos were more realistic and cozier, back then. Your Lemon Cream Scones sound delicious. ~ Donna Elizabeth

Kathy said...

Aldi is fun to try the seasonal foods. Makes a change from my usual meals.
Williamsburg is one of our happy places; we actually went there on our honeymoon. I have tried to replicate their ginger cakes but mine just don't taste the same.
Hope you have a great week.

Deanna Rabe said...

I’m thinking of doing a charcuterie board for either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Aldi makes it easy and cost effective to do this.

I adore Colonial Williamsburg!