Saturday, June 05, 2021

Living the Pantry Lifestyle - Rising prices and a short break


I am so sorry that I haven't looked into the replacement for Feedburner, yet.  I hope to next week!  There is a possible option which I need to respond to soon.  I am also way behind in answering emails.

May was an incredibly busy month and June hasn't slowed down, any.  I'm so tired after dinner that doing any research then isn't possible, other than watching a YouTube video or two on the tablet.  I think things will slow down in a couple of weeks.

I've also been preparing for Very Important Company to arrive.  We are looking forward to our own family reunion, which is why I know I won't be able to squeeze in any writing this next week.  I have planned time to rest and that is when I think I can do the needed research.  Researching is usually something I enjoy but not at night after one long day after another.

When you do most of your grocery shopping once a month, you can really feel the inflation already.  Aldi was $30.00 more than last month and the only difference in purchases was that I bought beef instead of chicken.  I didn't see any shortages at Aldi but there were some at Meijer.  My husband did our Kroger shopping Thursday and he was surprised how many items were out of stock.  Usually they are stocked for the weekend by then.

Quite a few people I follow were talking about the announcement made by the Costco CFO who stated that "inflationary factors abound" and indicated not only higher prices but possible shortages ahead.  When the Chief Financial Officer of a huge warehouse company is concerned, it is time to pray for wisdom.  Well, it has been that time for decades. 

Our riding lawnmower has been overheating and shutting down off and on for two years now and it finally stopped completely this week.  Although the addition of another cost is not welcome right now, we decided it is better to get it fixed while they should be able to get parts for it.  

I was a newlywed during the Carter Administration so I remember the out of control inflation at that time.  It isn't a surprise that it was also the first time I read of a lot of people "prepping".  Eventually it was brought under control but the damage had already been done.  

The events surrounding inflation in those days are somewhat different than today but both are related to the printing of money.  After all, the true definition of inflation is that your dollar is not worth as much as it was before.   I ran across a very informative article about how Just In Time manufacturing is behind a lot of our shortages after suffering a perfect storm of events.  I will link to it below.

My husband was a Quality Assurance Engineer and he worked in the auto industry for many years.  I recall back in the 1980s when JIT was being heralded as such a savior to industry that he said it will eventually cause huge problems in the U.S. It has and the article explains all about it.

One of the ways that people were able to "beat inflation" before was to purchase those items they knew they were going to need (as in real needs and not ultimate desires) as quickly as they could without going into debt.  Usually, that meant they bought them cheaper than they were not too much later.

There were some good things that came out of that period of inflation and economic collapse.  It was the reason garage sales began.  Victory gardens became popular again for the first time since WWII (remember The Victory Garden show on PBS?).  There was a return to more natural, basic food and cooking again to save money.  

I will be back tomorrow and then on the 19th!

Mentioned in this Blog Post

How the World Ran Out of Everything article... here[Note:  I don't know anything about this news site so I'm not sure about other articles they carry but this one is very good.]

Crockett's Victory Garden book... here.  There are lots of third party books available at great prices.  This was my father-in-law's favorite garden book and I doubt he ever missed a show on PBS.

Disclaimer:  Most links to Amazon.com are Associate links.

Image:  A photo from a previous "family reunion" a few years ago with the New England grandchildren.  In case you are wondering at the Guinness sign, this is an Irish restaurant.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

I expect part of the reason stores were short last week was Memorial Day weekend. A lot of people were getting out, camping, having family barbecues, ect. That has traditionally emptied my stores of some things.

Vee said...

Oh boy! The grands will have grown so much. You deserve time off to play and connect. So have a wonderful time and don't even consider blogging other than taking an extra photo or two.



Instagram.com/melissasnotes said...

Exciting times in planning for a family reunion!
Yes, I have that Victory Garden book also, it is so very helpful.

Deanna Rabe said...

I’d love to see us go to something other than fiat currency! Inflation is very challenging for certain.

Anonymous said...

I recently found a book at a yard sale called "Whatever Happened to Penny Candy?" by Richard Maybury/Jane Williams. I began reading it aloud to the family and have learned so many interesting things about where our money comes from, the causes of inflation/economic changes, etc. I highly recommend it - not just for kids!
-Joy