Saturday, June 26, 2021

Living the Pantry Lifestyle - Keeping an eye on the consequences of severe drought and inflation


I was talking to my husband recently as I pulled veggies out of the refrigerator to use up before they spoiled.  I had to remove a few leaves of the romaine lettuce to find the unharmed leaves, cut off a couple bruises from tomatoes (not stored in the refrigerator), and clean up a couple other vegetables.

I was doing this as we were talking about limiting our trips into town since the price of gasoline has written so much since January.  When I was thinking of all of this, I told him that is why I named the Saturday blog posts "Living the Pantry Lifestyle".  

Because it is about so much more than buying canned foods to "put back".  It's a total way of living... from giving thought to ways we can extend our budget to thinking ahead of what food purchases may be like six months from now.

He had to throw away all of the canned goods his mother had in storage because she never rotated them and after she passed away, he and his brother found dozens upon dozens of rusted cans on the shelves in her basement.  When we buy without a plan to use everything, we do tend to waste food (ask me how I know!).

The more research I've done the past few weeks, the more I have come to realize how unstable the food supply now is in this country and in some other parts of the world.  For instance, the extreme drought is taking place in an area where much of our fruit, vegetables, nuts, olive oil, etc. comes from throughout the year. Not to mention wheat farmers having their crops dying in the hot, dry fields.

I've read that olive oil being sold to processors today has gone up around 140%.  We purchase the larger bottle of California Olive Ranch "California Only" olive oil, which is already expensive.  They do offer an option which contains olive oil from various countries but that is why I stopped using Italian olive oil. You didn't know what you were getting.

Because of its' price, I usually keep only one extra bottle of olive oil and add a bottle to my stock up grocery list when the backup has to be used.  However, this past month I added a smaller bottle to my cabinet where I keep various types of vinegar. I hope to add one small bottle for the next few months to have on hand as a hedge against inflation.

Most oils do not have a long shelf life, especially once they are open.  I believe coconut oil may have the longest shelf life.  I used to think Crisco had an indefinite shelf life until a friend had hers go rancid. I only use the Crisco (original) sticks in a couple of recipes so I keep only a few sticks at a time.  I will purchase more before the Holidays if needed.

I was watching a new-to-me vlogger talking about various oils and how long they last and she found quite by accident that the name brand oils such as canola, corn oil, etc. lasted longer in storage than the store brands.  She did her own research and came to the conclusion that is because store brand oils tend to be sold in thinner plastic containers than the name brand options, which caused the oil inside of them to deteriorate quicker.  Makes sense to me.

As I can add to my grocery budget, I plan to buy a large bag of almonds to either freeze or vacuum seal for a hedge against inflation as well as a very real possibility of shortages.  Something like 90% of almonds come from the drought areas of California.

As I mentioned before, the vegetables sold in cans right now are from last year's harvest so I haven't noticed a huge price increase in canned goods, yet.  I usually buy one or two cans at a time to "put back" but I learned from a prepper vlog that the 4-pack of various canned vegetables at Kroger to be a real savings. I checked on my last stock up shopping trip to Kroger and found it to be very true.  So a 4-pack of green beans came home with me.

Of course, there is so much we can talk about shortages and inflation that it will take a few weeks but one suggestion I'd like to make as a hedge against the inflation we have already seen is to purchase canned meats.  The price of Essenhaus canned meat at Kroger and Keystone canned meats sold in various stores have not risen so far.  I bought a can of the Keystone ground beef a couple weeks ago at Meijer for the same price a can of beef cost the previous month.

If you go on YouTube and do a search for Keystone canned meat reviews, there are quite a lot of them.  Most tend to be very favorable.  The thing about Essenhaus and Keystone canned meats is that they are processed in the can with only sea salt added.  I know there other brands like this that are not available in my area.  If you know their names, please add them in the comments.

I'm not sure about when meat is processed and canned but if it is similar to vegetables and fruit, then the extreme inflation that started in January and is expected to only get worse has not reached the canned goods on the shelf, yet.  However, common sense tells us it will eventually.

How do I know?  Because I've looked at the price of beef at the grocery store even now and find it hard to believe.  Chicken has also gone up but I have found the grocery store will still put chicken thighs at 99 cents a pound where I live, just not all the time these days.

As far as the e-mail service goes, I now have all the information sent to the amazing service that has been helping me and I'm hoping it was all done correctly.  As long as it was, then there is no need for anyone to re-subscribe.

There will be more pantry chatting next week, God willing!

8 comments:

Instagram.com/melissasnotes said...

Since we have just moved back to Ohio, I can now shop at Meijer and Kroger! Unbelievable how much Kroger has added to their store, no wonder it's called a Marketplace now.
Moved a lot of food with us, since we didn't use it up before hand, (We actually got invited out a lot from friends before the move!) and am so thankful that we didn't have to purchase much, because of all the other household items needed to make the house into a home.
Thank you for sharing your wealth of information.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads-up about the canned veggies. I find corn oil works fine for cooking. Then we can save the more expensive olive oil for salads.

elizabeth said...

Can you please let us know what email service you switched to as I need to do this too ❤ i noticed that the price of beef went up here too! Lord have mercy on us!

Jenny said...

I keep quite a bit of canned meats in my pantry. And after this past year I've become adept at rotating my pantry...some items rotate once a week. My husband is a type 1 diabetic so our stock is more expensive...lots of meat, nuts & dairy. No grains or legumes for him but a few for me.

Thanks for the reminder to stay on top of the pantry. The oil is a dilemma for me because we can only buy so far ahead or it will go bad. Do you know if buying in smaller bottles would help with shelf life? I know it doesn't help with price but I've been thinking about buying smaller in hopes the unopened bottles will keep a bit longer than opening a large one & having it go bad before we can use it.

Cheryl said...

One way we have dealt with rising meat prices was for me and daughter to buy half a cow to split. The cost was $2.99 a lb whether I got a steak or ground beef. 85/15 beef here is now $4.39 a lb so we saved with that. I have spam here right now and probably will buy more. Glad you mentioned about the almonds, I have some sliced that I froze after reading your post.

Anonymous said...

Store olive oil in the freezer to extend product's life

Deanna Rabe said...

I need to add some more canned veg. I’m thankful to live in an area where we can buy a lot of local vegetables and fruit and meats. We do not have to be so reliant on what happens in California.

Kay said...

I am so thankful we butcher our own beef! I will check out canned meats for "just in case." A few cans rotated throughout the year will stretch our freezer stock as well as having meat-less meals. We will put in for our 2022 butcher date for beef as soon as our processor will let us. We have our date for our next hog already set. This way we can help our kids as well. I'm going to look into purchasing a pressure canner as well for meat canning and other produce like potatoes, beans and corn.