Thursday, January 10, 2008

Textbooks and floods

I'm feeling well in spite of the long hours... God is good. Believe me, that is the only way I'm holding up... His Grace. We took the time yesterday morning to purchase Christopher's textbooks for his last semester at the community college (which is also his last semester of official "homeschooling" high school). The total came to nearly $800.00! Double yikes!

When we returned to the bookstore, I told them I'd work next week to help pay for them but I now realize my health is worth more than another paycheck. Tomorrow will be my last day of work for awhile. It will be good to be home and on a more normal schedule again.

We had another lesson this week in the need to be prepared for emergencies. (No, I'm not a Mormon but I have been an advocate of emergency preparedness for a very long time.) Our part of the Midwest was hit with unexpected heavy rains, some are calling them "100 year rains". One of my son's best friends escaped his house in the middle of the night dressed in his boxer shorts and having time to only pick up his billfold!

When his neighbors came to tell him what was happening, the water was already up to his knees. His stepfather's house was almost completely under water soon after. The people in those neighborhoods went to bed thinking there was only heavy rain and their homes were under water within a very short time.

I have weeks (and weeks) of e-mails to answer, an award to re-locate and post, book reviews, and just plain catching up to do. There are so many of your own blogs I want to visit. It has been so long since I've had a regular schedule, some how "boring" days sound wonderful right now. :)

I'll be back soon! Time to head off to work. At least I can feel the pain of all those students spending money on textbooks.

5 comments:

Terri said...

Glad you're almost done with that job. I have been thinking of looking for something close by...just for the money, but I really love being home and really (usually) hate working out...Maybe there that is worth more then money, too? I don't know. Sometimes I feel a little guilty, because Joe works so hard and I get to stay home and do what I've always wanted to do. Doesn't seem fair...
Stay dry out there!
God bless.

Cathy said...

That is outrageous books cost that much. But I believe you made the right decision to take care of yourself first. :) I hope you will soon have some time to relax and just enjoy yourself.

Misc. Muse said...

do rest up. I still have a cookie mold I found for you just before Christmas and the Government book incase you need it. You must have brought brand new books for $800. when time comes have your son contact my son Jason at the college and see if he has suggestions on getting some money back on them. Take care Linda

Anonymous said...

It'll be good to have you back. :)
jo

Anonymous said...

You've gotta take care of yourself
(but you know that LOL)! Hope it all works out for you and your family soon.

Manuela