Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Book Talk

I figured it was about time I wrote an August Book Talk post since we are well over half way through the month.  I was waiting for a perfect coming together of my reading life but like all things... we do the best we can.  Perfection is not an option...

I'm still making it through some of the book list I wrote about last month since I am slowly reading through them.  Today I thought I'd share my current Kindle reading and Audio Book listening.


Audio Books

I was recently reading an article by Modern Mrs. Darby about how she had to learn what types of audio books she liked the best.  She said she wasted some Audible credits learning it.  I know exactly what she means.  Although I don't think I wasted any credits, I certainly know now what I prefer.

I have learned that I really enjoy biographies, books by very good historians, and nonfiction books by favorite Christian authors.  As long as they are not too complicated, otherwise I get distracted!  

I have also used the Audible credit for a few novels, including the Jan Karon book I recently finished.  My Audible library is being built up while I am still a member.

I am currently listening to No Higher Honor by Condoleezza Rice.  I have really enjoyed listening to this book.  It always makes it more special when the narrator is the author. The book is about her years as part of the George W. Bush administration.   Imagine being on the job only a short time and facing 9/11!

Rice is an excellent writer and communicator and has lived an incredibly interesting life.  Further information at Amazon can be found... here (this link is for the book, Kindle version, and Audio version).

 

Kindle Books

I often have more than one Kindle book going, according to my mood at the time and how fast I want to read it.  I like to have a fiction book going and a nonfiction book, as well as my current (and long time) slow-reread book.  

I also have books downloaded to the small Paperwhite Kindle that are easy to pick up and read when I go to a doctor's office.  Devotionals are great for this kind of reading.

Since I was listening to a fiction book on audio, I haven't begun a new fiction book for the Kindle, yet.  I will soon since my current audio book and the one I plan to listen to next are both nonfiction.

My current nonfiction Kindle book is the brand new book by David Jeremiah called Shelter in God: Your Refuge in Times of Trouble.  It is about finding peace during the times in which we live and centers around the Psalms.

I love how he talks about the various Psalms and what was happening to the writer, usually David, that caused him to write that Psalm.  I highly recommend this book. Pastor Jeremiah has a God given talent for being Spiritually accurate while also making one feel encouraged and at peace.  

Further information can be found at Amazon... here  (this link is for the paperback, Kindle, and Audio book).


APPS

I have been enjoying the Bible app called Blue Letter Bible (BLB) app.  It had been recommended by a Bible teacher on TV and after they said it was what they used, I downloaded it immediately.  It is free, which is always good.  

It has numerous Bible translations, you can change the font (which I use), you can click on the scroll function to automatically scroll down on each chapter if  you want, and there is narration available.  It is available wherever you download apps.


Friends Doing Stuff

Although I'm not taking part in launch teams these days, I do want to highly recommend Sally Clarkson's new book called Awaking Wonder: Opening Your Child's Heart to the Beauty of Learning.  I love the message of this book!  More information can be found at Amazon... here.

Heather LeFebvre is offering two online nature journaling classes.  The first is a six-week class that begins September 5th.  You may know Heather from her blog on the sidebar called Blackberry Rambles.  However, if you follow her on Instagram, you already have seen her gorgeous nature (and travel) journals.  More information on the online classes she offers can be found... here.

Happy Reading and Listening and Watching!

Disclaimer:  Most links to Amazon.com are Associate links

ImageBook Shop by Sung Kim

6 comments:

Sherry said...

thank you for the new book/audio/app tips.
a while back i added the blue letter bible app
and a dear younger friend helped me add more..
i'm rather "challenged" when it comes to that
sort of thing. as such i appreciate her even more! ;)

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Enjoyed your book chat. I just finished Sally's Awaking Wonder. I don't have kids or grandkids, but I found this book fascinating. I would recommend it to anyone who has kids or grandkids, nieces and nephews, and desires to awaken their wonder of God and his universe and our place in it. I've signed up for her free book launch 12-video series which begins tomorrow, Aug 20th. To register, visit https://sally-clarkson.squarespace.com/awaking-wonder-at-home.

Thanks, Brenda, for another interesting peek at what you are delving into this month.

Debbie Nolan said...

Brenda thank you for sharing your list of books. Dr. David Jeremiah is one of my favourite writers. I will be putting this book on my list. Hope you have a good end to your week.using

Instagram.com/melissasnotes said...

Yes, we enjoy listening to Dr. David Jeremiah on our early Sunday mornings wake up time. Plus, it's nice when you know his family background also!!

Kathy said...

Thanks for reviews.
I have always admired Condoleeza Rice, and I wish she would run for office. She has proven that she is competent.
I've always liked David Jeremiah too, and I am reading Max Lucado's, Less Fret, More faith.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I’m haven’t read Sally’s new book yet, it I watched the first video and I loved it. Made me so thankful to have done a similar education style for my kids.

Nearly done with the audible version of In The Company Of Others. Many books on my list to finish reading or to start. I’ve been spending much time researching some current events,

I want to get back to more reading.