Thursday, June 15, 2017

Book Talk: May to Mid-June



Book Talk posts are a place to chat about my recent reading, not including review books since I have written about them already.  Today I make one exception as I include The Turquoise Table, it has remained on the coffee table with the rest of my current reading.

Due to a heavy review schedule, there are only three non-review books to chat about but they are all great books.  All are highly recommended additions to your reading list.


The Broken Way is the new book by Ann Voskamp.  The subtitle is "A Daring Path Into the Abundant Life".  Like Ann's other writing, this book is full of personal stories which talk to us about the subject of suffering.

As usual, Ann shares her own stories of suffering and the trials good friends are going through.  It is a conversation about God and knowing Him through the very hard times of life.  I have found it difficult to follow her writing when it is quite poetic (for some reason, my brain doesn't process some poetry, either) but I like the way this was more of a "telling of stories".

As I was reading it, I thought of many people who would benefit by this book.  It does not answer why God allows trials and suffering but it does share the stories of how God has used suffering in real life situations.

I wasn't sure if I'd like At Home in the World, Tsh Oxenreider's new book about their world travels with the kids, for I have never enjoyed traveling.  Getting there... yes.  Traveling... no.  However, I knew I had to read it.  First, because I had followed their travels on her blog and second, because readers I trust raved about it.

What I didn't expect was that this book will definitely go on my Favorite Books of 2017 list!  I thoroughly enjoyed reading each chapter.  Tsh's writing made me feel I was on the trip as she came to doubt beginning their travels in Beijing because it was such a culture shock, experiencing unusual food, arriving many late nights to a guest house that could be a surprise or a delight, and the people they met along the way.

The countries traveled were China, Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Uganda, Ethiopia, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Morocco, France, Italy, Croatia, Kosovo, Turkey, Germany, and England.

While this book did not make me want to pack my suitcase and leave on a jet plane, it did make me feel like I had traveled with them as they saw new sights and met with both old and new friends.  I highly recommended it for good summer reading!

A Year of Picnics is subtitled "Recipes for Dining Well in the Great Outdoors".  I already had this book on my Amazon Wish List before it was published because I have loved other books by Ashley English.   I was going to add it to an order eventually but something happened to make that decision sooner.

If you follow Ashley on Instagram (@smallmeasure), you will have been following the story of their second son who was born three months early and has spent the past 70 days in NICU.  His birth was the day after the publication date of this book and when asked what people can do to help, Ashley said that purchasing the book would be a huge help to the family.

My first son was born too early and lived only half an hour so I have a special place in my heart for preemies.  I'm thrilled at how far technology has come and this little guy is doing great.  It was also a good excuse to move the book higher up on my priority list.

First of all, the book is filled with beautiful photos, ideas, and recipes for various kinds of picnics.  One thing she does well in her similar books is to provide enough ideas and recipes for each theme that almost anyone can find ideas.  They can be helpful even when the closest you come to a picnic is to throw an old quilt on the floor.

Chapters include: Breakfast Picnic, Bird-Watching Picnic, Table to Farm Picnic, Into the Woods Picnic, Children's Picnic, Waterside Picnic, Lunch Break Picnic, Sacred Tree Picnic, Ephemerals Picnic, Afternoon Tea Picnic (my favorite, of course!), Romantic Picnic, Movie Night Picnic, Falling Leaves Picnic, High-Altitude Picnic, Coffee Break Picnic, Tailgate Picnic, Rooftop Picnic,
Around the World Picnic, Twilight Picnic, and Winter Picnic.

If you should choose to purchase this book, I believe you will enjoy it very much and you will be helping the English family as they face rising medical bills.  It is a win-win!  This book remains on my coffee table.

I am including The Turquoise Table, even though it was a review book I've written about already.  It stayed on my current reading stack as I would pick it up and reread sections from time to time.  I love the idea of building community in a neighborhood by putting a picnic table in your front yard (whether it is turquoise or not).

While it wouldn't work where I live in the country, there are enough ideas in the book to inspire ways even I can show more hospitality and build community.  It also has good recipes.  Another reason to love it.  I'll eventually send this on to my daughter but in the meantime, it is still on my coffee table.

I already have two new review books to read but I'll definitely be sharing some favorites next month!

ITEMS MENTIONED IN THIS POST:

The Broken Way... purchase info here.

At Home in the World... purchase info here.

A Year of Picnics... purchase info here.

The Turquoise Table... purchase info here.
Original review... here.

Disclaimer:  Most links to Amazon.com are Associate Links.

4 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

All three of these books look good. Especially "The Broken Way". Thank you so much for your review. Hope you have a delightful day.

Vee said...

You always make me want to read...

Terra said...

I plan to read Ann Voskamp's new book and the Turquoise Table sounds good too.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I don't usually read Ann for the same reasons. I think Tsh's books would be a good and enjoyable read.

Prayers for the premmie baby, and his family!