Tuesday, October 25, 2016

French Country Cooking: Meals and Moments from a Village in the Vineyards, a review


French Country Cooking may have been the first cookbook... and I have many... that I read cover to cover.  Not only are the photos gorgeous but the story behind every recipe is given and Mimi Thorisson is not only an excellent cook but an equally good writer.

Okay, we can all take a minute and dislike her because she is also beautiful and lives in a fairy tale chateau but I have a feeling if we were at her table, we would be won over by her kindness as well as her good food.

First, what this book is not.  It isn't a step by step instructional book for French cooking.  Leave that to Julia Child and others.  It also is not a cookbook for beginners although there are easy recipes in it.  I'd say one should have at least a couple of years of cooking under their belt to feel comfortable with most of the recipes.

This is a cookbook for those who love to read as well as cook from a book.  Having said that, it is full of recipes for various tastes and skill levels (past beginner).  It contains recipes from their pop up restaurant, recipes made for family, plenty of recipes for side dishes for which I have a few bookmarks already, desserts, classic French dishes, and what the author refers to off and on as "Grandmother recipes" passed down by friends and family. 

This book would make a lovely gift for someone who loves to cook or a splurge for yourself.  You will be happy you purchased it when on a Winter's evening with a candle burning and perhaps a glass of wine (or in my case, a cup of tea) you have this beautiful book to peruse and then to cook from.  Highly recommended!

French Country Cooking was provided by Blogging For Books but the opinions are my own.

More information regarding this book can be found... here.*

*Most links to Amazon are Associate links.

2 comments:

Vee said...

She's way too young to be that accomplished! =D

I have never read a cookbook cover to cover, but have come close with Mennonite Girls Who Cook and with Leslie Land's cookbooks. You, on the other hand, love reading a great cookbook. And you have the ability to make me want to read it, too.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I never bought cookbooks until I met you! You make me want to own them all! :)

I am checking out her blog, and I may put this book on my Christmas list!