Thursday, April 30, 2015

Reservations for Two, a review


I quite often pick up a "modern" novel with apprehension, wondering if I will find language and situations I prefer not to in my reading.  How good (and rare) it was to begin reading Reservations for Two and find the couple touring Europe with separate hotel rooms!

Not only is this novel "safe" for those of us who have certain standards we live by but it is a lot of fun to read!  The book is centered around Juliette D'Alisa whose mother is French, father is Italian, and they are a restaurant family in Portland.  Oh, and yes... they are all foodies and the subject of food comes up quite often as well as recipes here and there.

The book opens with Juliette visiting her French family, then goes on to Italy, and eventually home to Portland where her family's new restaurant is about to open.  In the midst of all of this, she is dealing with a love interest who lives in another city and is on the search for the truth about her grandmother's first husband.

Usually a work of fiction that has an additional plot told by letters from the past does not work out well for the reader.  But her grandmother's letters from WWII Paris are incorporated in such a way that the reader feels like she has just received the letter and is reading them for the first time.

This is the story of a close knit family facing the trial of a mother's illness, the opening of a new business, and a young woman's frustrations at making love work in a busy life all brought together with a deep faith that is not preachy but is the foundation of all that is happening in their world.

This book is the second in a trilogy (the third to be published next year) but I didn't read the first and found it quite easy to catch up with the storyline.  Having said that, I liked this book so much that I plan to read Book #1 just for enjoyment.  It can easily be a stand alone title.

I recommend this book for anyone who wants a good novel to take on their summer vacation or to read in front of a fireplace in the cold of winter.  I do suggest having some snacks at your side for you will get hungry!  Highly recommended!

This book was provided by Blogging for Books but the opinion is my own.

Further information at Amazon can be found... here.  All links to Amazon.com are Associate links.

6 comments:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

That sounds like a good book. I too, find it hard to read 'modern' books for the same reason.

I'll have to see if I can get them from our library!

Deanna

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

This does sound good and I see that my library has the first which I must read first since the one you reviewed is still in processing.

I do appreciate your reviews, Brenda!

Anonymous said...


I have enjoyed many books that you have recommended. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Isn't that the truth! If I read about someone having coffee, I'm up and making me a cup to enjoy. 😂 Sounds like a good book. I, too, am very careful what I read. Thanks for the review. Pam (SD)

Deb J. in Utah said...

Wow, that sounds like I lovely book. I think that you and have the same kind of "high standards" for books we read. Thanks for sharing this review!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation! Sounds like a good read. Good fiction that shares our values can be hard to find. That's why I enjoy historical fiction and books written a generation ago!
Been busy working out in our garden. Can't do it all at once anymore! I keep remembering your post about doing a little at a time gets it done! Also helps to keep one from being too sore to move the following day! 😊
Hugs,
Laura C. (WA)