Thursday, June 14, 2007

Talking theology with my kids

One of the fun things that came from my daughter's two week visit was being able to have great chats with each other. Albeit interrupted a few hundred times by small children...but still enjoyable. We talked books, watched DVDs, discussed raising children and growing flowers, tried new recipes, went to Starbucks and Einsteins...the important things of life.

There are no people on the planet I'd rather discuss the deeper things of life with then my children. No, not even my husband (although we do plenty of talking!). I didn't understand this until I pondered it while my daughter was here. Then I had one of those Eureka! moments when wisdom met my thinking and I realized why this was true...there are no other people around that I raised from infancy. They were beside me as I was going through my own spiritual transformations and growth...my daughter while I was still quite young and my son as I was older.

Now, that doesn't mean they think the same as I do on every topic. However, on the Basics of the Faith and such...we are in agreement. I enjoy talking with them about the books we've read, what is going on in the news, is there going to be war soon in the Middle East, politics, Bible prophecy, movies, art, music, the environment...all kinds of subjects.

There is a comfort level there that I adore, the wonder of not having to explain myself. They know me...the good, the bad, and the ugly (hmmm...and the fact I like tacky Spaghetti Westerns?). I expect siblings raised in the same home and close to each other in age would have similar experiences. I have seen the same relationship in some marriages.

Let's face it, we all tend to wear a mask from time to time. We pretend to be the person either we want to be (which isn't always a bad thing) or the person we think people want us to be (which is rarely good). Only God knows us as we truly are and the fact He loves us dearly is still...amazing. Someday we will walk in perfection and become the person He created us to be all along.

Have you ever stopped to think of spending eternity with the Creator of all things? There is much to ponder about what books will be There to discuss. Of course, there will be great books...for He loves books so much that He used a Book to tell us His Story and how it relates to His plan of redemption. Have you thought of the art and what we will be able to create?

I wonder if He looks at us and feels the same way I do when I spend time talking to my kids? Gives us a lot to ponder, doesn't it?

Photo: Girlfriends Lunching, Posters.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

< Gives us a lot to ponder, doesn't it? >

Yes it does.
I can't wait to spend time with God. I can't wait for Him to put His arms around me and tell me He loves me. To tell me why certain things happened the way they did down here on earth.
Awesome thoughts.
And books in Heaven? Let's hope so!
joanna :)

singinginthemoonlight said...

I love this post. I have 10 wonderful children share the very sweetness in my relationship with each of them. Yes, how wonderful to think of this in light of spending time, in the presence of God. Thanks for sharing.
Warmly, Jewels