Thursday, December 28, 2006

Evasions--a book review

I was up way past Midnight last night. I picked up Melanie Jeschke's book to read "just a bit" before going to bed...wrong thing to do. I could not put it down from that part on...the action was moving so fast that I just had to know what happened next.

I wasn't sure I would like this book as much as I did Inklings and Expectations, only because it was to be a "prequel" which was set in WWII. Well, Mrs. Jeschke writes better with every book. She combined the present (1960s England) with a story-within-a-story which takes us back to WWII England. It is done in such a way, the transition is smooth and very much a part of the story. I think this is my favorite so far.

Although each of these books could stand on their own for the reader, you really do get much more out of them when they are read in their proper order. Each previous book lays a foundation to the next, adding depth to the storyline that isn't there if you do not know what has previously happened to these characters.

These books are somewhat unique in the area of fiction for Christians. They are as smart as a Nancy Pearcey nonfiction book while offering the romance of Grace Livingston Hill. They would be enjoyed by teenage girls through the great grammie ages. I definitely give four teacups (out of four) once again to Melanie Jeschke for Evasions. I do hope she is at work on number four in this, The Oxford Chronicles!

2 comments:

Janie said...

All three are on my 2007 to-read list. I'm really looking forward to them now! Thanks!
Janie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review - I'm adding them to my list.