Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Thoughts on music and technology

Last night I enjoyed very much finishing my work of the day and being able to curl up on my living room sofa, book in hand, throw over legs, cat on the throw and headphones on ears. I figured that was enough to deal with so tea was taken before settling down (shared with my husband).

I was thoroughly enjoying the music when my thoughts (for some reason) went to the movie Persuasion, which is one of my very favorites. I was thinking of the music on that film and how it was always played in person. Only those who had money and access to great music could enjoy it.

I don't know why we don't stop and think about the miracle of technology more often. Here I was, in the privacy and comfort of my living room, listening to the London Philharmonic Orchestra played on a $1.00 Target CD and an inexpensive Walkman. Yet, the sound was similar to those orchestras I have enjoyed listening to in person. While not the surround sound of the theater, it was still very good. Perhaps I could even get the nuances of the instruments even more on CD. When you stop to think, in the entire history of the world, we've had technology for about...five minutes...what we take for granted could not be comprehended in the days of Jane Austin.

I don't think I was rushing the season, pulling out the CD holder that contains my Target music. These include Winter Themes For Winter Days as mentioned above, a collection of beautiful symphonic music from Christmas inspired symphonies. I also had purchased Christmas in New England, Saint James Choir of Angels, St. James Holiday Chorale and Christmas with the St. James Harp Quartet. The latter three all having choral music from an Old English perspective and all costing $1.00 each (talk about a bargain).

I have a nice collection of other Christmas CD's containing classical, instrumental and more familiar songs and carols. They will be pulled out and enjoyed when I start Holiday baking and throughout the month of December. I'm not sure why this Old English music appeals to me. I have faint memories from childhood, most likely when the three available TV stations played wonderful Christmas specials which included this kind of music, as well as Perry Como, Andy Williams and the other crooners.

I have often thought that the music of our youth is the soundtrack of our life. Which is why John Denver can still make me happy and my nearly 60 year old husband starts dancing around the kitchen when Help Me Rhonda is played (or any other Beach Boys song). It is in those moments when the seven year age difference become apparent. His songs were already oldies by the time I was in high school. Although, having much older brothers and sisters, I could relate to the music of the late 40s and all the 50s, which is probably why I still love the crooners. I'm certain they were played in our home when I was a preschooler.

It is also why Amarillo by Morning is the ring tone on my cell phone. I have such a fondness for some types of country music (especially all those having to do with the West, Texas, and cowboys) that I have watched George Straight in Pure Country about uh...six times. The songs of my childhood, the music loved by my mother and father (who passed suddenly when I was only ten). This is the music I heard in the crib!

How thankful I am to be born at a time of history when technology allows the London Philharmonic to be in my very small living room.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How funny. I was born in 1961 but I LOVED John Denver and the Beach Boys in the 70's when I was in high school. I was never into rock music-John Denver and James Taylor were more my style. And growing up one block from the beach, how could I help but totally get into the Beach Boys? lol...
Joanna

Laura Talbert said...

I had never given much thought to how blessed we are to have access to the music we do, but that you are so right. It is a gift!

I was born in '70 and grew up listening to John Denver, Neil Diamond, and Barry Manilow. Not exactly cool to know all the lyrics to those "uncools" when I was in high school, but it was the music of my parents. I still like it to this day.

I love Early music now, too though I never heard any of it growing up, except perhaps in movie soundtracks, though I cannot think of any. Good music is truly a gift from God.