Monday, November 13, 2006

Off the coffeetable, in the basket

I'm not sure anyone would notice but I had to do some switching around on the "What I'm Reading" sidebar.

Any true bibliophile will completely understand that what one plans to read is not always the way our reading turns out.

I did finish the two decorating books which were on my list and returned them to the library. Both gave me a lot of inspiration for future projects when it gets warm again. Winter is not my time to do projects. Winter is my time to read and think, cook and bake, do some crafting or sewing...but not decorating or major household projects. They are for the return of warmer weather and open windows. I'll do some "decorating by puttering", switch some things around, and find places for any thrift store treasures but any big projects have to wait.

The Heaven Tree Trilogy is still at the top of my list. I've only been able to read the first couple of chapters but so far it is excellent. I had to set it aside for a couple library books I needed to skim read quickly before returning, one an Alexandra Stoddard decorating book. I own quite a few of her books but this is not one in my personal library. I'd have to say, apart from Emilie Barnes, she is my favorite author to read to give me great decorating ideas. Although one can't really compare the two, it would be like asking if you liked one fruit better than one vegetable.

What shook up my reading list? Receiving John Piper's book Don't Waste Your Life in the mail, free through Billy Graham ministries. I was first introduced to John Piper through my friend Susan (who, unfortunately, now lives in another state so we don't get to have book chats anymore). I started reading this book in the waiting room of a tire store this morning while a rather huge nail was surgically removed from a rear tire and the hole patched. This took long enough to get uncomfortable in their chairs so reading became impossible.

I continued to read it in the waiting room of my son's allergist who (thankfully) provided much more comfortable seating. This appointment was for both shots and a visit to chat with the doctor (and yes...this is a terrible mold allergy season this year) so I got a chance to read a few chapters. I read favorite sections to my son while he was waiting his thirty minutes after receiving his shot (so if he drops dead they can revive him at the doctor's office).

I asked him who the section titled "The Man With Long Hair and Knickers" could be talking about. Francis Schaeffer? Correct, he passed. He could come home with me. Piper goes on to write about the affect of C. S. Lewis on his life...my kind of author. I knew I liked this man. I can't wait to finish this amazing little book so I think we're having leftovers for dinner tonight. It's quite cold outside and gloomy, a perfect evening coming up to brew a pot of tea and snuggle up on the sofa with a cat and my John Piper book.

The Rare Jewel of Christian Commitment continues to be my reading during my devotional times (love it). I'm also continuing to read A Christmas Carol to teach my class at the homeschool co-op. Fortunately, I'm ready to go for my class tomorrow so I can concentrate on Reverend Piper's wisdom for the evening. It has come into my hands at just the right time, with answers to questions I've been pondering these past months. I love it when that happens.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda, I popped in just to check out your sidebar you mentioned. (I usually read your posts on Bloglines so I never really see your actual blog--unless I comment, which thankfully, is every now and then.) Anyway, Blogspot must be experiencing problems as your sidebar books didn't show up.

Glad you were able to get your vehicle repaired. I'll check back. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, indeed, I do understand not reading what one plans to read. I was given "Don't Waste Your Life," and a couple of my kids have read it, but I haven't yet. The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment was a great comfort to me several years ago when I was going through some hard times.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Deb, thankfully it is working today. I also read many blogs on Blogspot and click on the sites where I want to see pictures. Having dial-up (our area cannot get Broadband, yet), you just about have to do that for pictures.

Patti, Dont Waste Your Time is just what I needed right now. I'm going to continue reading tonight. My son has to work so I'll make a small dinner for my husband and me (my son took a packed dinner). I can hardly wait to read more, it is a great book.

I'm slowly reading "Rare Jewel", it is so wonderful and profound. Both of these books need digesting but in a good way!