Sunday, November 12, 2006

Eet Smakelijk

In his native land,
A Dutch host utters
these words before each meal...

"Eet Smakelijk"

Meaning to eat well
and with taste.

That is the introductory page to one of my favorite cookbooks, Eet Smakelijk. No, I do not remember how to pronounce it but I kinda' made up a pronunciation so if I tell my daughter I found a recipe in this cookbook (by name), she knows to what book I'm referring. Probably the only other human in the universe who would know what I'm talking about.

I pulled out my old copy of this cookbook due to an an abundant amount of apples I need to use soon, thanks to a very giving friend. I had thought about making applesauce or apple butter (there may be enough apples left for that purpose) but what really sounded good was authentic Dutch Apple Pie. Thus, my venturing into my one Dutch cookbook.

It is actually a cookbook published by the Junior Welfare League of Holland, Michigan. There are many good memories I took with me from our eight plus years in Holland. The food was among them (and some fantastic restaurants). I also will always remember sunsets and picnics on Lake Michigan at Tunnel Park, breakfast in Douglas, lunch in Sagatuck before strolling the boardwalk and viewing the yachts and people in them, Christmas in downtown Holland, a billion tulips in May and the Tulip Time festival, the lighthouses of Holland and Grand Haven...among many other fond memories.

The pie will be dessert for a special Sunday meal with my son's favorite casserole (Cheesy Braut Stew), two different kinds of steamed vegetables, and authentic Dutch Apple Pie albeit without the chopped pecans I often add which are not in the recipe (I must remember to purchase nuts at the grocery store!).

I sat in my chair peeling apples and watching Nigella on the Food Channel, I rarely get a chance to see her new show as we are normally on our way home from church when it is playing. However, we have a flat tire so we couldn't attend church in time.

That's why I'm making a nice dinner. It has been "one of those weeks" for all three of us. We need the comfort that only a wonderful meal can bring today. Thankfully, I had everything I needed on hand to make favorites for which I am very grateful to the Giver of all things.

1 comment:

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Thank you, Patty!

I have learned to go back and look for comments even a week later.

Holland has changed way too much. Although still pretty and a place tourists like to go, it is far from the place we lived for nearly nine years. There is no longer the "quaint" feel about it.

Also, although Sagatuck has long had a gay subculture, I hear it has totally taken over now. It's still pretty and I'd love to visit next Spring or Summer but it would be different living there.