Sunday, November 26, 2006

These are the good old days

I normally don't write on Sunday but I've had ponderings going through my thoughts, so much so, I must get them on paper...so to speak. :)

I finished putting up our tree last night and getting it all nicely decorated. It really is a tad bit like a tall Charlie Brown tree. Especially considering the one that got away (that broke while we were moving a few years ago). However, this one is sufficient to hold plenty of nostalgic ornaments. Holding court over the family room is the folk art tree topper angel my daughter bought me a number of years ago. With the angel, ornaments, lights, and wooden cranberries wrapped around it, the little ole' tree looks downright regal.

I once again listened to Christmas music from the TV and enjoyed the peace and quiet of music, Christmas memories and the soft snore of our "fluffy" cat. When they were little kittens, I'd never have gotten away with decorating the tree with them in the room. Just too much fun stuff to bat around and run after. These days, with the three of us now middle aged ladies, we take things a little more slowly.

I was thinking this morning of one of my favorite Christmas memories. We were hosting a party for my daughter's college "Christian fellowship" and it was a near perfect evening. There were two trees all decked out, the fireplace was glowing, each downstairs room had been decorated for Christmas and held the sights and senses of the Season. There was a lot of food, the scent of the hot spiced apple cider, glowing lights and laughter.

Near the end of the evening, one of the young men came up to me and thanked me. He said this evening was the nostalgia he will always remember when he thinks of Christmas. Each year, for someone, we are creating the good old days.

One doesn't get to be fifty-plus without having had some difficult Holiday seasons. There have been years of illness, deaths in the family, financial crisis, being "away from home", and just plain old depression. Last year I wanted to overlook Christmas completely but God finally got through to me. Even though the move was coming up the week after Christmas and I had no idea how I was going to physically handle it, He led me to Goodwill one day where I found the Charlie Brown tree. It had been a display model for Target, it was cheap, it needed a home as much as I needed to find a tree at the last minute, and it turned out to be incredibly easy to put together.

Once again, He had to remind me we do not depend on our emotions to make Christmas, He has already made the Season. It doesn't matter if the government does not allow Nativity scenes at the courthouse if we do not celebrate the Nativity in our homes. So...even though this year finds me feeling the affects of a chronic illness, my home celebrates the most wonderful Event the world has ever known (with the exception of the Resurrection but we will celebrate it come Spring).

My mother was raised in a home where Christianity meant rules and she was told constantly she didn't live up to them. So...she didn't. When I later became a Christian, she was horrified. She thought I'd turn into...them. No...this is still the woman who wants I Can See Clearly Now sung at her funeral. (Not spiritual but what amazing truth when you stop to think about it.)

I love all of the season. I am told I get that from my father. I don't remember much about him except for feelings. Feelings of love, acceptance, joy; the pleasure that comes from flowers, and animals, and certain types of music...and Christmas. He loved Christmas! I embrace it all, bring it on... From the classical chorals to Elvis singing Blue Christmas! From White Christmas to The Muppet's' A Christmas Carol. I love Silver Bells (because the song reminds me of "going downtown" to shop at Christmas as a child, before there were malls) and Brenda Lee's Rocking Around the Christmas Tree. It reminds me of my older brothers and sisters, and their 50's music.

We have to look past the emotions when the years are not perfect. They seldom are, we are fortunate if we have one or two "perfect" Christmas seasons in a lifetime. Instead, we celebrate Christmas by faith during those times we do not feel like celebrating. We remember that these are the good old years for our children. The college students who were at that party are now around age thirty and older, many have their own children now.

It is especially important to do those things we have "always done" when the years are not perfect. God has given us the gift of Christmas, a magic time full of twinkle lights and expectations, colors and scents given to us at no other time of the year. I believe at Christmas, we see a slight hint at Eternity. The expectation of Christmas Day is a lesson in expecting His first Advent...and His Second still to come.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember taking the bus downtown to do Christmas shopping back in the 70's. My favorite store was the Hallmark store.
I remember our first mall was built in 1977.
Fun memories. :)

Lady of the house said...

Great post, Brenda! So glad you decided to put your thoughts on paper.

Lady of the house said...

Brenda, one more thing. This Christmas we have a little 3 footer tree on the mantle (due to toddler). We will be moving in the summer, and I told husband (who really wants a few ornaments on the tree) to just forget about it! Not worth the trouble. Oh how you've convicted me. I know just the surprise for him. Now if I can work up the courage to go down to the den of spiders that is the basement!

G.L.H. said...

Wonderful post, as always! I so thank you for sharing your thoughts. They are like *my* thoughts, only you can better articulate them!

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Sometimes it is interesting where my thoughts (ponderings) take me!

Our first mall was built in the early 70s (I think, sometimes dates run together). Our downtown has some nice, unique stores now and there has been a huge effort to make it pretty but it has never been the same as when the main stores were there.

We lived in Holland, MI when the mall went in there in the 80s. Same thing happened.

Jenny, my son is so afraid of spiders we would NEVER get him in the basement, hehehe.

Thank you for your kind comments everyone.

Anonymous said...

I am very glad I read this. I think this is the first time. The last oh 4 years or so I have gotten so depressed starting in Nov. This is unusual for me but I think it is cause now there are no relatives on either side of the family left cept my sisters and I. With christmas being such a family time and also our family was very active with others etc at that time of the year it hits me more then. I don't know but for some reason for the first time in my life it gets me very depressed. It surprses me each year when it happens. I will note post this and go come to read it come this Nov as I do think this will really help me get perspective. If I honestly made a note of all the posts on your blog I want to keep to reread I would have to keep the whole thing!!! :) Ha!, Your blog is like one of those much loved and re-read books in our lifes we talk about!! :) Jody