Thursday, September 28, 2006

Sweater Weather

Late September and October is known in my house as the "sweater weather" time of the year. Before I began collecting teacups and "tea things", I collected sweaters. That was also when I had more disposable income.

Sweaters represent so much in what is comfortable, cozy and safe. After all, Mr. Rogers wouldn't have been the same if he slipped on a suit jacket and wingtips while inviting us to be his neighbor. I have fond memories of old TV shows where father sits in a chair, having slipped on his button up cardigan sweater, dispersing wisdom to his family. It never happened in my home but it was great to watch in my youth.

There are two kinds of sweaters I truly love. The first are the very soft, oversized sweaters that I can slip on when the temperatures dip and then brew a spicy tea, curl up on my living room sofa and read a great book. My other favorite sweaters are the hand knit, button up, works of art. There were only a couple of stores that sold these types of sweaters in my town. For my birthday or Christmas, I'd often say all I wanted was "a sweater" from one of these stores. If extra gift money came my way that I didn't have to use on household items, I'd purchase a sweater. They were as beautiful to me as any artwork I have seen in museums. I still have a few of these sweaters, carefully cared for and nurtured through the years. I gave my favorite to my daughter (I don't even know if she still has it, it has been awhile). They have been treated carefully over the years and I enjoy wearing them with slacks and skirts.

The remainder of my sweater collection will soon be removed from the extra closet in the office to my side of the bedroom closet. They are much more functional but I still take delight in wearing them. Many of these sweaters were purchased at Goodwill for just a few dollars each. My newest Goodwill sweater is a button up Lands End cashmere in a deep red color. It was $2.50, half price probably due to the "ugly buttons". I brought my treasure home from the store and clipped off all but the very first button (it's amazing how only one on a sweater is hardly notiecable). It will look and feel beautiful, slipped on over a dress during the cooler months of the year.

Our high temperatures are only to be in the 50s today. That's fine with me. It is my one day I have free this week. I'll spend some time in the kitchen, declutter the house, perhaps run the vacuum, and then change into one of my favorite sweaters and go for a walk. The leaves are beginning to turn their vibrant colors, the corn is now a deep brownish-gold and ready to be harvested and I am often hearing the sounds of geese as their flight paths take them over my house. I will spend some time in the rocking chair on the front porch and begin a list of the work that needs to be done around the yard before the winter arrives. That task will need a pot of Earl Grey and perhaps some muffins. Sweater weather is definitely my favorite time of the year.

3 comments:

Shari said...

i lost my comment, lol.
i would love to see pics of some of your favorite sweaters. i just love big, cotton cardigans. i had one a few years ago that i wore to a frazzle. sooo comfy.

Mary said...

Brenda, I feel the same way about the weather. I love the cooler temps. We must be close in the same area. Our temp right now is 58° and it is 1:49pm.
I hope you enjoy your day being at home.

Heather Anne said...

Brenda - I love sweater weather too! I have a few handknits that my mom made for me that I love - big and comfy! I have a sweater my sis brought home for me from Scotland that is so toasty warm and pretty - I can't wait to get it out! I have worn out my sweater sets, and am looking for more this year - I love them with skirts. Sweater days are happy days!