Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Frugal Finds

“And do not seek what you should eat or what you should drink, nor have an anxious mind. For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows that you need these things. But seek the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you." Luke 12:29-31 NKJ

Mary from Here's Home asked for a picture of my Royal Albert. I still have to take pictures the old fashioned way (and get them processed) so I borrowed this picture from one of the sites that sells Royal Albert. This is the pattern I bought for $80.00 at Goodwill. It is called Lavender Rose and looks perfect in my dining area (the previous owner put up wallpaper that has some purple in it). I don't have the teapot but a teapot that my daughter bought me many years ago works very nicely with this pattern.

So, what did I get for $80.00 when their sugar bowl alone sells for $135.00 retail? I bought eight complete place settings, two serving platters, two serving bowls, the sugar bowl and the creamer. I just "happened" to be walking into Goodwill when one of the store clerks was setting the dishes out for display. I went over to look at the teacups (since I collect teacups) and when I turned it over and saw it was Royal Albert, I told the clerk I'd take it all. That was my first miracle. My second was that I had an extra $80.00 that month in which to purchase the dinnerware!

People tell me I have things like this happen all the time. Just this morning I had a woman admire my skirt and top which is a lavender, floral print skirt with a lighter lavender top (not even the same brand but they look great). I remember the skirt was half price at Goodwill and I had to pay FULL PRICE for the top at Goodwill. You know you're a bargain hunter when you wince at paying full price at a thrift store.

Two other great buys in the last year were my silver tea set (teapot, sugar bowl, creamer, and gorgeous matching tray) for $25.00 at an antiques mall. The set was slightly tarnished but I've been shopping for silver items "on the cheap" long enough to know it would be an easy clean up. They look lovely on a Goodwill stool in my dining area. I also have three tart warmers that came from Goodwill. The first one was a very simple warmer made from terre cotta for 49 cents. The other two warmers are much nicer and quite elegant. The nice thing about having the three warmers is I can put a different scent in each one. Since the wax lasts so long, this is a good thing.

All of these were items I had desired but could not afford at full price. I truly believe God understands our desire for beauty and order. If we're not bitter about lack in our life, He will make up the difference. I have learned it is a lot more fun to stop by Goodwill a few times a month, the other thrift stores when I'm in their towns, garage sales, flea markets, etc. and have the joy of finding my desires there than going to the Mall!

I have to think ahead of time about the items I truly desire. I always head for the dishes section first at Goodwill in search of teacups. After collecting many years, I'll now pass up those that do not fit in with what I'm looking for now. I always look at the books as there are a few older books I want for my bookshelves, as well as some later titles to add in my history and biography sections. I check to see if they have any artwork, especially oil paintings or beautiful frames. I used to check the clothing but I actually have enough for awhile. I just have to take off the pounds I've put on since I stopped exercising last year!

My grandchildren are suppose to visit next month. (Oh, they are bringing their parents along.) I have a big basket filled with books I've purchased since their last visit in February. I also have some cute toys for them to play with and then take home with them. All the Grammie "stuff" was purchased at Goodwill or garage sales. Many of the toys are in original packages.

People often tell my family that we must be "gifted" at finding good buys. (My son had an adult recently rave over the leather briefcase he takes to Debate, it was $4.99 brand new from Goodwill.) Not really...we just know it is possible to have nice things in this society and not have to pay full price. Materialism says we have to have something and have it NOW, no matter what the cost. Faith asks God if it His will for our desires to be fulfilled, He will bring them to us. Often there is a waiting time and a search but it is so much fun when the sought after object is located and in our budget.

I know we are not alone. On a recent trip to Goodwill, I saw a man pick up an architectural pillar (the kind you could set a plant on) and practically hug the thing. It was just what he'd been looking for. He didn't care there were people around watching him as he showed his happiness. We were all on our own treasure hunts.

Picture from: smallislandtrader.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to adore Goodwill, but I have noticed lately that the prices have gone way up. You can hardley buy things there that are just under full price and they have been used to the max! Normally stained or well worn. They sell shoes there anywhere from $5-$13 per pair. Clothes range from $5-$13 too. I have even seen a special Boutique rack of dresses each going for over $100. This is Goodwill! Here in my area, they have inflated the prices for junk. But, that is just my area. I hope they have great Goodwills where you are.

Mary said...

Brenda, thank you for the picture, that pattern is just beautiful and what an encouraging post you wrote. A reminder that all things are not necessary 'right now.' Waiting upon God's timing is what is best for us. I am sure God smiled down on you when you found that china in His timing. And..to have the money available for it...God's timing again. Your post today was just a day brightener for me!

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

It's just amazing to me some of the things I have found that would cost a fortune elsewhere. I have a tray that looks like pewter I bought at a garage sale in Detroit. My son wants it for when he has a home someday. I have seen it selling for $100.00 at the mall and I bought it brand new (still in the box) for $5.00 at a yard sale. I knew recognized the brand and what it was so I knew that was a great price.

Our Goodwill has gone up a little. It's funny though that items that really have value can still be inexpensive and it's some of the junk that is expensive.

I haven't seen those kind of prices here. The most I've ever seen for a piece of clothing was $29.00 for an expensive coat.

Lady of the house said...

Hello, Brenda! My that is lovely china you have. Don't you just feel like a queen when you use it?
And to know you bought at such a great price makes it even sweeter. Congratulations on your good deal!

Heather Anne said...

Oh Brenda! I love your china! I inherited Royal Albert 'Trillium' from my grandmother and I appreciate having it to use! I have all of the extra pieces and service for 14 - including soup bowls and dessert plates - even salad bowls! I feel so blessed!

My husbands mother died 4 years ago leaving her mothers china to her daughter - my husband's sister. Three years ago she died and her husband took most of the china to Goodwill! I was heartsick! If you ever come across 'Margareta' by Edelstein, it might be our family's china! It is chunky Bavarian china, but lovely never the less! They used it every night for supper and had 'better' china for company! I keep praying the Lord will somehow enable us to replace or recover the main pieces so we can enjoy them now and pass them down to our daughter!

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I really do love the Royal Albert. I remember when I was driving home with it in a box in the back seat, I drove as slow as I used to when I had a new baby in the car! :)

When I've had people scoff at me for shopping Goodwill, I always have asked them if they've ever donated anything. Everyone has said yes. Then I ask them if it was "good stuff" and that usually quiets them at least for awhile.

I am always amazed at what people give to Goodwill. To think someone gave Royal Albert, I had to figure it was a similiar situation. Someone probably passed on and their family members (especially if they were men) just gave it away.

When my mother-in-law passed away, they knew I had always wanted her china. My husband's brother wanted her silverware and their sister didn't care at all. The china cabinet in my dining area and a breakfront (I didn't post that picture) that is in my entry area/living room also came from her. She was in her mid 80s so "where things went" were already known which helped a great deal.

Ironically, my most expensive china is our Everyday Lenox. My husband and I couldn't agree on our everyday dishes when we needed to replace them about eight years ago. The only pattern we could agree on was the Lenox and he is the one who told the store clerk we'd take it. Otherwise, I guess he figured we'd be in the store for months. (He is not one of those men who doesn't get involved in household purchases.) It is a pattern that has geometric borders (he wanted) mixed with roses (flowers like I wanted). Since he earned the money, I said that was fine.