Friday, May 17, 2019

How I Choose the Books I Review


There was a comment about the number of Bibles I have been reviewing because people only need one Bible.  So I thought I'd again share how I go about accepting review books.

On the subject of Bibles, there seems to be a couple times a year when publishers bring out new study Bibles.  That is one reason you will see quite a few reviews in a short amount of time.  Then there may be months before another Bible review.

Also, I know personally there are many denominations (as well as Catholics) represented in the readership of this blog.  Many people have their favorite Bible translation and if one were to notice, most of the Bibles recently reviewed were of different translations including the NIV, NKJV, KJV, and most recently the ESV version.  I believe that was the first ESV Bible I have been offered to review in many years.

The uniqueness of various study Bibles would also appeal to different people and denominations.  I have accepted study Bibles that are completely different from each other this past year, hoping readers have access to information on various types of specialties.

I rarely have actually reviewed many fiction books and when I do, they have tended to be the Amish novels that have four short stories in them.  Once in awhile a fiction offer sounds too good to pass up. My own preference has been reading D. E. Stevenson, Goudge, and classic authors I have enjoyed for decades but the Amish short stories are perfect for a mental vacation.

I accept Christian nonfiction books that either I have an interest in or I think readers will have an interest.  I am currently reading a book about decorating that will be reviewed next week.  It has been a long time since such a book was offered and this one was from a Christian publisher.

When I first began reviewing, there were multiple publishers offering review opportunities to bloggers.  Many of these programs no longer exist, especially the secular nonfiction programs.  That is why you rarely see reviews of cookbooks and design books these days.

I review less quantity of books these days to protect the time I need for reading just for enjoyment.  Especially dealing with less ability to read for longer hours with the right eye still healing.

I hope that helps people understand the whys and wherefores of what I review! Right now I can only handle one review book a week and still have time for my old favorites. 

Image:  Time for Reading by Judy Gibson (yes, an often used favorite image!)

4 comments:

Vee said...

Well that was interesting. John had every Bible known including a koran and a Catholic Bible. He just wanted to know what the verses said. And the publishing world is an entity unto itself so how they offer books for review is intriguing. Do you have a personal favorite version of The Word? I find myself leaving the NIV behind for the KJV and the NASB. If I want lyrical, I sometimes read The Message knowing full well that it is not terribly accurate so I temper it by reading from a more scholarly version. And I do like doing a concordance for digging deeper. Praying for your eye to be fully restored. You have had such a slog of it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for explaining that. The only Bible I ever bought myself was a large print one when necessary. The joys of getting older :) A bible does make a nice gift though.
I didn't mean to sound critical. I do enjoy reading your blog.

Carol said...

I appreciate the fact that you are willing to review different versions of the Bible. I would love to do this type of reviewing as I love to read.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I used to review fiction on my blog but those programs shut down, as you mentioned.

I have bought many books based on your reviews, and have come to be a fan of Goudge, and Stevenson!