Thursday, September 13, 2018

Spirit-Filled Life Bible: Jack Hayford, Editor - a review


A number of years ago, I purchased the First Edition of this Bible for my reference shelves.  It had been difficult to find a Study Bible from a Charismatic perspective that I was comfortable with.  Especially as a former Presbyterian.  To be honest, it had been impossible.

Then the Spirit-Filled Life Bible was published with Hayford as the editor.  I knew this was what I was waiting for.  I had read Jack Hayford's books and listened to his messages for years, long after I had decided my theology didn't line up with some other teachers at the time.

I made the mistake of leaving that Bible out on a table, only to have my husband pick it up and enthuse about it.  Needless to say, I never got it back to use as reference.  It became his go-to Bible for many years, only to be replaced by the Second Edition as a gift from his daughter when the first Bible was falling apart.  Even then it took awhile to make the switch as he copied years worth of notes to the new Bible.

So I was very interested to have a chance to look through this Third Edition.  I was pleased that it still is set up with the usual Bible verse references at the bottom of each page.  Also included are the sections I got so much out of as a reference Bible, which are titled: Truth in Action, Kingdom Dynamics, Praying the Word, and my husband's favorite inserts called Word Wealth (word studies from the Greek and Hebrew).

The Bible I was sent to review is genuine leather and has a feel about it that only real leather can give you.  However, it is also available in a Leathersoft Burgundy, Leathersoft Brown, and hardback.  As with most study Bibles, the font is small but not tiny so unless you are a reader that needs large print, you should be able to read it.

If you are of a Charismatic persuasion (especially if you are a former Presbyterian), I highly recommend this Third Edition of what is known in our house as "The Hayford Edition Bible".  You may not agree with the theology of every contributor but I have found most to be very sound in the many years we have owned a copy.

The NKJV Spirit-Filled Life Bible, edited by Jack Hayford, was provided by the Publisher for the sake of review but the opinions are my own. 

Specific information can be found... here.  (This links takes you to the genuine leather version, if you scroll down there are links to the hardback and leathersoft versions.)

Disclaimer:  Most links to Amazon.com are Associate links.

2 comments:

Little Penpen said...

Looks nice... I will probably be in the market for a new Bible soon. As I age, I find I would like to have one with larger print and book tabs for easier study. I may splurge and get a leather bound one this time, too.

Anonymous said...

My husband has this Bible (maybe the first edition?) and I have actually used it a Lot! I really like Jack Hanford and find the study notes very helpful! I also find it interesting that they are coming out with new editions to quite a few different Bibles lately! (ex: the new Amplified Bible, etc) As long as our old ones hold up, we’ll continue to use them! Hope you enjoy this new Bible!
Blessings,
Laura C. (WA)