Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Until We Find Home, a review


I do not review a lot of fiction books but this one intrigued me with the promise of WWII, the Lake District of England, favorite children's books, C. S. Lewis, and a young American showing up with French Jewish refugee children to her aunt's home in England.  A mixture of intrigue, rejection, and coming to know restoration.

I admit that when I first started reading it, I didn't like Claire very much.  Then I found out later that is exactly what the author, Cathy Gohlke, intended.   The reader walks out the process of Claire's growth as a person and later as a believer in Christ.  This is not a story of shallow faith but instead the difficult process of restoration that comes only in Christ.

The author also weaves in the stories of other characters going through their own pain and grief, dealing with their own rejections and fears, and the process of finding peace and even joy in the midst of a world at war. 

I can't say anything more without giving up the plot but I can encourage anyone who loves a good story to read this book.  It is the kind of book one can lose themselves in and to me that is a good story.  Just remember, as you read the beginning of the book, you will come to love Claire later.

Until We Find Home was provided by Tyndale publishers for the sake of review but the opinions are my own.

Further information can be found... here.

Disclaimer:  Most links to Amazon.com are Associate links.


4 comments:

Cheri said...

Hmmm.....sounds interesting.....

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I just got a book to review from Harvest House. When I’m done with that, this sounds like an enjoyable read.

Maureen said...

I recently discovered Cathy’s books. I began with Band of Sisters and just finished Secrets She Kept. I am thoroughly enjoying her books and the rest are on my list.

ellen b said...

Thanks for the review. I'm 9th in line for the book at our library.