Saturday, October 21, 2017

Living the Pantry Lifestyle - Ramblings and Links


I've been working on the change of season chores a little at a time.  The porch is about half way finished.  It still needs a good cleaning although it may get a "good enough" cleaning.  Most of the flowers and herbs on the deck have been dumped into the wheelbarrow, waiting to become compost in the forest.

I will fold up the lawn chairs for the hired help (aka: Hubby) to move to the garden shed but I need to carry the empty flowerpots out and put them next to the shed for him to put away once the riding lawnmower is inside for the season.  Yes, this is the shed where the snake went inside in front of me.  No, I will not step inside it. 

This year I am doing what I can and not worrying about what I cannot.  But a little at a time of doing does bring very good results.  Perhaps not perfect but once again... good enough.  It is far better than doing nothing at all.

I have been rewarding myself when the tasks are complete with watching an episode or two of Shetland Season 3 on the iPad. It is a rather depressing and gritty kind of mystery show, set in the Shetland Islands of Scotland... but I love it.  If you like Wallander, which takes place in Sweden, you would like this.

I purchased it last year when our PBS did not show that season and I have watched it already but it is still good.  I told a friend that it had a surprise ending and this time through I am seeing the little hints we were given along the way.  I also can appreciate the various camera angles this time and how the photography adds to the drama.

I don't know about you but I think I'm regressing to early childhood when... to accomplish chores I do not want to do... there must be some kind of carrot dangling at the Finish Line.  ;)

Okay, I went through a few days worth of Facebook feed and found some survival type sites I follow. A couple are homesteading sites.  I will share them below but with a warning... by sharing them, it is not a recommendation for everything you will find on any website.  

However, the good thing about following such websites on Facebook is that they not only provide updates of their own but they link to websites and information I would not have known about otherwise.  I will add more if I think of any that did not show up in recent Facebook feeds.

LINKS
The Survivor Mom... here.
Melissa Norris... here.
Off the Grid News... here.
Food Storage Made Easy... here.
Backdoor Survival... here.
Mom With a Prep... here.

Mentioned in this Post
*Shetland Season 1 & 2... here.
Four two-part mystery features.

*Shetland Season 3... here.
Six episodes follows one storyline.

*Wallander Season 1... here.
Three 90-minute episodes.

*Because of the nature of these murder mysteries, contents are not child friendly.  There are references to (obviously) various crimes, an assault, and the occasional alternate lifestyle but nothing is shown.  Well, except murder victims.

Disclaimer:  Most links to Amazon.com are Associate links.

Image:  Cookbook and Apples: Allposters.com

3 comments:

Cheri said...

Brenda, thank you for taking all the time to list these links. It is raining here now, so I can't go out and rake or pick apples (free!) at my friends so I will spend some time perusing. Some of the prepper sites are more geared toward firearms than I am interested in. The ones you posted look like more my style. Thank you!

Margie from Toronto said...

If you enjoyed "Shetland" then you might also enjoy "Vera" as they are written by the same author, Anne Cleeves. I attended a 4 day Mystery Writer & Readers Convention this past weekend here in Toronto and she was one of the guests. She is quite a petite, grey haired and soft spoken lady - reminded me a bit of Miss Marple - but with a twinkle in her eye and a wicked sense of humour.

Sherry said...

* Shetland .. we've watched it (but not season 3 as yet)
and you're correct: a bit intense in parts (for me) but
a good show. at times we would have appreciated subtitles. wink.

* thank you for those links. already knowing about a few
of them .. i'm squirreling away the others to check out later.

* i need to clean my front porch. a dear neighbor sold her
home recently and daily would put things out front with a "free"
sign. i gleaned a sweet little folding table and chairs.
bistro style. and perfect for our front porch. two rather
large warty pumpkins sit on top of the table, with a length
of fake autumn leaves woven around and up. this afternoon
would be a good time for a cup of coffee while sitting there..

* snake in the shed? i'm with you. no way no how i'd enter.

blessings,
sherry