Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Taking tea together


Not too long ago, my daughter met some friends at a tea room she raved about.  We talked about making reservations but then decided the cost of the tea time combined with the distance we would have to drive made it fairly unreasonable.

Not to mention, we are a family of women (young and old) who can put on a pretty fair tea party ourselves.  So plans were made, a special friend and an equally special mother-in-law were invited, and I printed out my favorite lemon cream scone recipe to bake for the tea party.

I must admit, it was just as lovely as any tea room (if on a less extravagant scale).  Elisabeth made the cake from a cookbook I had given her for her 13th birthday, she and I made the scones, and Stephanie was busy with cooking and decorations.

It really was a lot of fun and more so than going to a tea room this time (albeit we do love our tea room visits!).  Because we were together in the kitchen and that is always a good thing.

Here are a few of the photos...

Setting the table... One.
Setting the table... Two.
Faith smiling for the camera.
Anna, the cutie!
The lemon scones were cut out with a square cookie cutter this time!
Stephanie's friend, Jane (and my new friend), Stephanie, and Lois (her mother-in-law)
Elisabeth looks a little tired after all the preparations but she did a fabulous job.
 We had such a nice time together!

Oh, and the boys did clean up (so to speak).  They helped clean up by eating the food after the girlie tea party.  ;)

Matthew helping by ummm... eating.
David taking out the trash to help clean up.

There were lots and lots of dishes, too.  ;)

19 comments:

Lee Ann said...

Oh I so would love to be your next door neighbor!!

Rebecca said...

Sweet! The only photo missing is one of YOU :)

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I love a tea party, even if it is a homemade one! Sometimes especially if it is a homemade one!

The table is beautiful, the scones amazing. (Is that recipe on your recipe blog?)

The grands are growing up! I know your time was delightful.

Deanna

Deb J. in Utah said...

Looks like you had some lovely "girl time." This is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Bookie said...

Oh yes, this was so lovely and I enjoyed it by proxy. Just as nice...often I find the tea in the pot not as good as my own when out. The one thing a tea room offers is the being waited on...it is lovely once in a while to have loving attention from a tea room person instead of doing it ourselves. But your lovely setting made that a minor issue!

Anonymous said...

What Fun to host a tea party with your daughter and granddaughters! Memories in the making for Sure! I had a friend who used to give Amazing teaparties! Enjoyed those So much! They were much more intimate than a tearoom! Thank-you for sharing your photos!
Hugs and Blessings!

Kathy said...

What fun times! I love making memories! Your grand daughter's cake looks delicious!

Vee said...

Beautiful tea party! So much fun to plan and work together. The boys look so cute enjoying the leftovers. I can not get over how much Faith looks like her mother!

suzanne said...

What a lovely table and atmosphere. Your tea party looks to be as fine as any tea room could produce. I bet those little girls will remember this for the rest of their lives. So special!

Nanna Chel said...

How lovely. I am glad you had the boys to help with the clean up! :-)

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful tea party and with such special guests--granddaughters and friends. I know this will be a special memory for all of you. Lovely, and the food looks delicious. Blessings, Sharon D.

Annabel said...

That looks beautiful! I am sure this would have cost a fortune to do out and be every bit as nice or nicer at home. It looks wonderful and so pretty.
I find afternoon tea the best way for me to entertain. It is something everyone loves! It seems a treat for people.
Lovely post! xxx

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

How every delectable this all looks! Wonderful friends and family, wonderful food, wonderful fun getting it all created and presented. It warms the heart just to read about, to see the photos and think of the good times together.

Judy said...

Delightful!

Instagram.com/melissasnotes said...

Thank you for sharing. What a lovely time you all must have had in the kitchen together...making memories. Yes, the grandchildren are growing. Where did all of the men "hide-out" while the tea party was going on?

Cheryl said...

How fun! And what a treasured memory you've made!

Anonymous said...

So, what are those things in the tiered tray? Look like some kind of cups with filling. Please share the recipe! (-:

Heather said...

Brenda, what a lovely memory you made with your girls! At home tea parties are my favorite! I am partial to my own food! :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous said...

Love your pics. Stephanie did a great job of decorating. Your goodies look fabulous. I think I would have been in there helping Matthew clean up! 😋 What a fun thing to do. Pam (SD)