Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The Happy Christian, a review


I was a little put off by the title (for I do not like formula style self help books that promise people they can feel good about themselves in ten easy steps).  But then I saw the author, David Murray, is a professor of Practical Theology at Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary and a pastor of a Reformed Church in Grand Rapids. 

I lived in Western Michigan long enough to know most people with these credentials would  not be "fluffy" self help sorts.  I was right.

The subtitle of this book is, "Ten Ways to Be a Joyful Believer in a Gloomy World"... and that is the advice that is given.  With personal stories, Biblical advice, and the latest psychological research, the author provides the whys and wherefores on the subject of happiness and depression.  (Happiness, you may know is often translated "Blessed" in the New Testament.)

I liked this book because it is not only (in my opinion) Biblically sound but it is easy to understand.  Oh, it is written like a professor wrote it but don't worry.  It just means you get a lot of detail.

This would obviously be an excellent book for those who counsel people wanting sound doctrine.  But it also contains excellent advice for the person struggling with being depressed in today's complex world.  Some of the advice is to simply be aware of what you are watching, reading, listening to, etc.

I highly recommend this book for anyone wanting to know about the subject from a nonsecular source.

This book was given to me by the publisher in exchange for a review but the opinion is my own.

Further information about this book can be found... here*.  All links to Amazon.com are Associate links.

1 comment:

Terra said...

Joyful believer in a gloomy world sounds good.