I include meat free dinners at least half of the time in our weekly menus, not only for our health but to stretch the food budget. So I was very interested in this cookbook. The subtitle is Eat Clean With Seasonal, Plant-Based Recipes and the way it is set up (with recipes by what is in season each month) won me over immediately.
The author, Veronica Bosgraaf, is the founder of the Pure Bar, organic nut bars and fruit snacks. But I find this book is written from her perspective of a wife and mom who loves to cook and put healthy meals on the table for her family.
Unlike "nutritionist written" vegetarian or vegan cookbooks I have read, most of these recipes are the kind I could put on my own table without my family wondering what I was up to. Honestly, I think even the meat and potato fed husbands would enjoy some of these dishes.
To name a few:
- Winter Root Vegetables with Honey Sauce (I am trying this one soon!)
- Lentils and Rice with Caramelized Onions
- Chocolate Rice Pudding
- Scalloped Potatoes with Onion, Garlic, Peppers Savory, and Dill
- Vegan Orange Cream Pops
- Egg Noodles with Wild Mushrooms and Spring Greens
- Rhubarb Breakfast Crisp
- Cheddar Artichoke Dip
- Hummus, Tomato, and Caper Bruschetta
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Bisque
- Eggplant Love Lasagna
- Stuffed Cabbage Rolls with Fresh Tomato Sauce
- Gluten-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes
I also like the feel of this cookbook. It is softbound and just the right size that makes the font large enough to read easily but not so big it takes up the entire kitchen counter (at least in my small-ish kitchen). There are photos of some of the dishes in the center of the book. I highly recommend it.
This book was provided by Blogging For Books for the purpose of review but the opinion is my own.
For further information on Amazon.com, click here.*
*All links to Amazon.com are Associate Links.