Thursday, September 04, 2014

My World this Week


Okay, another on the fly (so to speak) My World this Week.  But if I waited for perfect circumstances, there would be no blog!  ;)

Reading

I didn't think I would find this book all that interesting until I picked it up at a bookstore and perused it.  Gosh have I ever been so wrong!  The Nester gives wonderful advice about decorating your home creatively and on a budget.

So when the Kindle version was on sale for two dollars and change last week, I bought it to read on the iPad.  Honestly, it is one of the best books about decorating your home that I have ever read.  Further info... here.*

Collecting

The nice thing about collecting brown transferware instead of just one pattern is that it mixes and matches beautifully.

Along with my own thrifting finds and purchases, I have received brown transferware from Kristi and Manuela and I think of both of them when I use it!

Tweaking
Photo taken with flash
I did a major re-do on the china cabinet recently.  The first one in years.  But I wanted to display more of my collection.  The other china was either stored in the buffet or added to the shelves in the Study.

Most is brown transferware with just a few other obvious exceptions.  The flash really distorts the color but when you live in a forest and your china cabinet is in a dark corner...

Thrifting

Isn't this pretty?  I found it for just a few dollars at Goodwill and you can bet it went in my cart immediately.

It is in good shape but since it is quite old, I will use it for display and not for serving tea.  I have a few sturdier teapots for that use.

Trying to Work

I was going to sit down and work awhile but this is what I found.

Her Fluffiness

I was sorting through cards (many of which you all sent me) to put them into one large box when I looked up and found someone had made herself at home in the lid of one of the boxes!

She was not happy when I finish sorting and made her give up her bed.

*Amazon Associate's link.  When you order through the link or through entering Amazon through the widget (no, you do not have to purchase the item you click on)... I receive wonder beautiful lovely credit!

7 comments:

suzanne said...

Your "my world this week" post is always such a refreshing stop in a week full of mostly sad news. I absolutely love your china display. Indeed, beautiful things need to be shown, loved, touched, shared! I envy your Goodwill. You always seem to hone in on lovely finds. And of course, it is always so fun to see Her Fluffiness, making her presence felt and known. She is one cool kitty!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I may ask for the Nester's book for my birthday. If you like it, I am certain I will too.

I like what you've done with the china hutch. I love the brown transferware and it is perfect for the coming season!

We head out on our vacation tomorrow and won't be back until the 14th. I will try to check blogs but may not be able to comment often.

Deanna

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I am happy that my grandmother's British Castle plates found a good home in your house....I still have her wild turkey plates for Thanksgiving and that is enough for me....Even though it is still so warmer than I like, I am turning my thoughts to Thanksgiving already!

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful teapot. I wouldn't use it for serving either. It's always the favourite things that get chipped.

Anonymous said...

Love the cat!!

hopeinbrazil said...

I got the Nesting Place book for my Kindle too and can't wait to begin reading it.

Laurie said...

You china hutch looks lovely. Great find at thrift store, what a beautiful teapot!
Cats always sleep in the darnedest spots.