Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Third Thursday Community Potluck Cookbook, a review

I only recently talked about potluck cookbooks being rare when a copy of Third Thursday Potluck Cookbook showed up on my front porch.  I knew I had agreed to review a cookbook but some how forgot it was about cooking for potlucks.

I have collected cookbooks for a very long time so some have a tendency to give that feeling of "been there and done that".  But I was pleased as I read through this book that it is quite unique and very enjoyable to read.  Which has become as important to me as great recipes.  Probably because I own so many basic cookbooks.

The Third Thursday Potluck is a real event that meets... you guessed it... on the Third Thursday of each month.   The location is provided by e-mail.  Just reading about how the monthly potluck was set up and run would be worth the price of the book for many people.  What a wonderful idea!

The cookbook contains recipes from dishes brought to the potluck.  The book begins in June with food that is seasonal for Nashville in that month.  Living a little farther north, I'm probably a month or so behind in what is growing in my garden and available at the farmer's market.  But that is easy to compensate by looking in say... July.  ;)

A sign of a great cookbook for me is when I have perused it and there are numerous bookmarks placed through the pages, marking recipes I want to try.   I plan to make the lemon rosemary cookies soon. The buttermilk cornbread skillet recipe will be made soon after that.  Soon I will try the "Not Your 70s Green Bean Casserole, too.  After all, life cannot subsist on carbs.

Even if you don't attend potlucks, you will enjoy having recipes for the seasonal produce on hand.  There are all kinds of recipes, from those based on meat to vegan creations.  It is, after all, a potluck.

It reminds me a bit of the old church cookbooks I've kept, which include recipes from people I knew who were "famous" for certain dishes.  These recipes have the same feel only they don't start with a can of mushroom soup.  Many recipes are definitely more modern twists on some old favorites.

While there are a lot of pictures in the book, not every recipe has a corresponding picture.  However, the recipes are explained simply enough I doubt most cooks would have any problem making them.

This cookbook would be an excellent addition to the shelves of anyone who enjoys trying new recipes, cooking with seasonal food, and who enjoy good Southern cooking.  Although you do not have to be from the South to try these dishes.

This book was provided by the publisher for review, however the opinions are my own.

Further information can be found at this Amazon Associate's link... here.

5 comments:

Nana said...

Hi Brenda;
After reading your post, I immediately went to our local library website and ordered this book. It sounds simply wonderful! The book is on order for the library, altho I don't know which branchs will get copies, so I placed the first hold on it! I can't wait to get it, sounds so interesting. I do go to a potluck once a month, except mine is a bible study potluck on the last Tuesday of the month. Have a great day, thanks for the review. Love and Hugs, Nana

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I got a chuckle out of the line "but don't start with cream of mushroom soup!" :)

We do two fellowship meals a month at our church and I feel all cooked out - it has to be able to stay hot in a crock pot, and that is very limiting.

I may have to check this one out.

Deanna

Vee said...

I had to laugh over the can of mushroom soup...I do love my mushroom and cream of chicken soups. As a blogging buddy likes to say..."delicious poison."

ninar said...

Brenda,
If you ever get a chance to read Potluck by Kim Thomas please do. You will really enjoy it. Put out by waterbrook press.

Nina

Deb J. in Utah said...

Thanks. I think I would love this cookbook. Pot lucks are lots of fun!