Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Waking up in Narnia...


I sat at my favorite coffee shop near campus Friday evening, expecting my husband's arrival within the hour so I ordered a pot of their lovely peach blend. I was rather unhappy when he called to let me know he would be late and "would I pick him up" instead.

Not only did it mean we may not beat the snowstorm home but being the frugal sort... I could not waste a pot of tea.  So four cups of tea and about ninety minutes later, I picked him up on campus just as the snow started.

Mrs. Christopher had been texting me while I read a book on the Kindle and sipped tea.  They had been in Chicago and were leaving early to arrive home before the storm.  They arrived back in town just as the snow started falling.

A very good thing for both of us as it snowed and snowed and stopped awhile and snowed and let up and snowed.  Well, you get the idea.  The entire weekend as I looked out the window I felt I was in Narnia, those scenes in the movie where everything was covered in sparkly white.

For this snow storm was unusual in that it was a calm storm, no strong winds to whip up the flakes and carry them off of tree limbs and fence posts.  It was one of those rare magical scenes in the forest.  One could think they saw a fawn but upon blinking a couple times, one decided it was only a snow covered bush.

These picture were taken after the snowstorm and before the day of gentle snow.  But I think they show the Beauty even if there was a greater snow cover to come. 

Oh, my husband wondered how I could sleep that night after a pot of tea.  Fortunately I had chosen their herbal peach blend.  ;)

You can just barely see my neighbor's red barn...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your pictures, Brenda! How beautiful! My kids are dreaming of a white Christmas, but it rarely happens here in southern VA. We have had a few big snows in the past, but last year the sleds were never even used. It is so exciting when it does come and turns the dull, grey and brown world into "Narnia". We will just have to enjoy it through your photos instead and keep dreaming... (-:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful pictures even though I know it is very cold. Love your "line-up" in the kitchen window. We don't get much snow here in East Texas but it has been very cold for days. Stay warm--blessings, Sharon D.

Cheryl said...

If one must have a snowstorm, the one you had was perfect. Especially since everyone was safe...and you were able to enjoy your pot of peach tea before you hibernated. Yes, perfect. :)

Vee said...

Beautiful world. Don't you love those little irks that sneak into our days reminding us that we are mere mortals after all. I do think, however, that four cups of herbal peach tea sounds marvelous!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Beautiful!

Glad you all got home safe and sound and could enjoy the snow from the warmth of your sweet home!

Deanna

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

It's beautiful in that Narnia way here in northeast Ohio, too! I love it! Now I'm thinking I need to go make a cup of tea........

Cozy Seaside Homemaker said...

Looks pretty. I may wake up to narnia tomorrow it snowed all day here. I posted a few photos from earlier today. Enjoy a White Christmas.

Deb said...

Hi Brenda, Just lovely looking out your kitchen window...and the long snowy road is just picture perfect. I wish I could have been sitting there with you getting acquainted since your hubby couldn't show up. Enjoy your Christmas week...I think we'll take some blogging time off once Sarah's bingo is all done! Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful photos! Your windowsill reminds me of Susan Branch's kitchen. I actually did the same thing this Christmas. I was afraid some things would get knocked off but it has been nice to enjoy my vintage figurines as I do the dishes. Enjoy your stay in Narnia and greet Mr. Tumnus for me ;-) Dee/MN

Simply Shelley said...

Such beautiful snow sences,and a very lovely Christmas home...blessings friend