Saturday, September 01, 2012

Saturday Pantry Suggestions

What a beautiful loaf of bread!

Just time for the quickest of Pantry Posts today.  I shared with my CTB&Me friends on Facebook that this has been an incredibly busy week.  Just when I thought it would wind down, we had to prepare for Isaac to come our way.

That meant doing all the weekend errands on Friday as well as getting the deck and property hunkered down for possible winds with heavy rain.  Right now it looks like Isaac is weakening enough that all we will have is heavy rain, which we need!


This past week I saw how the Pantry Lifestyle can really save on the budget if we are looking for good buys.  I stopped by two grocery stores for their sales, one had chicken thighs for 99 cents a pound but their deboned chicken breasts were $7.00 (oh, my... those must be good chickens).

I went to the Kroger just across the road and they had deboned chicken breasts for $1.69 a pound.  Just think how much can be saved by the chicken crossing the road.  Pretend you didn't read that.

The store brand of stewed tomatoes were at a great price at the first store so I stocked up on them.  Perhaps the funniest stock up (at least if judged by the stares I got at the checkout line) was when I bought twenty packages of my favorite frozen steam-in-the-bag brown rice and brown rice mixed with veggies.

They are far too expensive normally, even though they are perfect for just the two of us and very quick to heat up on the nights I'm not feeling well.  However, I always walk down the frozen veggies aisle to see what is on sale and they were $10 for 10!  Hallelujah... and on my week I buy groceries for the month.  Most of them went into the deep freeze.

Kroger is also the place where they mark down packaged salad ingredients and other packaged veggies when they are close to the "sell by" date.  I bought two packages of chopped peppers (various colors) on clearance.   Checking that aisle is my first stop each time I shop there.


I have talked about how I always pray before I shop and I had one of those God Wink moments yesterday.  I hadn't planned on stopping by Goodwill but I couldn't get it out of my mind.  Since I had to go to the nearby grocery store, anyway, I went in and browsed the aisle. 

While I was there, they brought out the exact kind of folding table I wanted for my new room and at a great price.  So guess what?  Come on, can't you guess?  I am sitting here typing away with the room now mostly finished.  At least until I get rid of Christopher's bookshelf and talk my sister, Bonnie, into giving me her Hoosier cabinet.  ;)


I've had a few people mention about lard in the comments.  Yes, the lard has to be the old fashioned kind and not what you buy in the refrigerated section of the grocery store.  Any suggestions on where one can purchase it?

Also, I use coconut oil and have been pleased with the results.  I know some vegans use it in place of an animal product like lard to make their pie crusts, too.  There are a lot of recipes online using coconut oil.

14 comments:

Rita said...

Brenda, Where is the recipe for this gorgeous bread? My goodness it is beautiful. If I had the recipe I'd make it right now. I've heard negative things about what is put in store bought bread and would like to make my own. If you decide to share the recipe. Thank You!

Anonymous said...

Good old Isaac! So far, in eastern Kansas City, we have 8 1/2 inches of rain. Saturday morning and it's still raining. Thank you Lord.

Vee said...

Just think how much can be saved by the chicken crossing the road. Hahahahahaha... That tickled my funny bone.

My mindset must change. Truly it must. You think it might've by having read so many of your wonderful posts through the years. I need to pray before I shop and to buy only those items on sale. I must give up that rigidity I am so comfortable with. Thank you again, Brenda. I'm going shopping this afternoon right after I see a certain movie and I'll attempt to employ some of what I'm learning.

Instagram.com/melissasnotes said...

Yes, that bread does look beautiful and I'm sure it even tasted delicious. So glad you were able to buy your table for your workroom, what a treat that you did stop at the store.

Anonymous said...

I live in Southern California and the only place I know to get old fashioned lard is a grocery store called Superior. They carry it in the meat section I believe by the pound. Ask the butchers for it. I want to try it myself. I have many friends who buy it there and are totally satisfied with it. Since you already had some pantry supplies stocked up you were able to get some of the weekly specials instead of basics that you might have needed due to the weather situation. Very smart of you! :) Sarah

Judy said...

So delighted you have that little table you've longed for. As it often is, your delight in God's provision is palpable in this post, and it is a privilege to enter your joy.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

The bread is beautiful, the blessings such a gift! And I do enjoy your sense of humor, always!

Nana said...

Hi Brenda;
Oh my, what a beautiful loaf of bread! Please do share the recipe if you can. I loved your post today, I will also pray before I shop and try to get only sale items. Have a Blessed Day!! Love and Hugs, Nana.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you ... getting your table. Yeah, yeah, yeah!!! God is good!!! Always. : >) Glad you are getting rain, too. I was hoping we'd get some of Issac but alas, it is not to be. Busy canning up a storm. The garden is producing abundantly. Joyfully, Pam (SD)

Stephanie said...

I just bought some organic non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening at Whole Foods and tried it out making "your" chocolate chip cookies...and it works! Ha! Organic lard! A little pricey, but I don't use it often, and unlike Crisco there is no BHT which the kids don't tolerate well at all.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Brenda,

This post while being excellent as always, also made me laugh! I am learning too, and must make changes in how I buy and where. I had a good routine down, but with food prices soaring....yikes! The budget is maxed out!

I will be on the hunt for that chicken who crossed the road...

Deanna

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

That is just some really beautiful bread! I, too, like those little bags of rice/veggies, but they are ridiculously expensive. I love the 10 for $10 sales here, and have picked them up when they were on sale, like you. 1/3 of the small bag with 1/3 of a can of seasoned black beans makes a good lunch for me to take to work. Now if I had just baked that bread....

Anonymous said...

That loaf of bread looks good. Could you give us the recipe?

Anonymous said...

You sure you want Lard? so unhealthy. Bread does look great- I want the recipe too. I have bread recipe no fat - roman bread. Linda in IN