Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tasha Tudor Day


Tasha is one of my few heroes that are not women of Faith.  Her lifestyle reminded me that most of how I live my life is made up by my choice of how I spend my time and resources.  I have long admired her choice to live a self sufficient lifestyle and to do so with such charm.

Each year I have been choosing simpler days as health and finances make small my world.  I have come to realize I can have a good life within those boundaries.  Actually, I'm finding forced simplicity as well as forced frugality can be blessings as they set options... and too many options are overwhelming.

My most recent goal towards simplicity is to manage technology a little better.  I do love my computer, itty bitty iPod, DVDs, Kindle, Facebook, and texting.  My life is not interesting enough to Tweet.

For various reasons (which I will write about at another time), I decided I had to cut back computer time.   I now have a few days a week that I keep the computer off most of the day.  I find I still have plenty of time to write and read but there is less chance of stopping by the computer to "check something" and realizing an hour had gone by with the distractions.

Tasha taught me if I want to live a life surrounded by Beauty, I do have to make choices that often go against what the rest of the world considers important.

I have chosen to take my hours back to read a novel, write real letters, admire the deck flowers, walk the gravel road to the mailbox, bake bread, chat with a kitty, and spend what is left of limited energy and income on a creative endeavor.


I think Tasha would be pleased that I celebrated her birthday with tea and Victoria.  :)

To see how other bloggers celebrated Tasha Tudor Day, visit Clarice at the beautiful Storybook Woods blog... here.

10 comments:

Vee said...

Oh I see...My Friends' Page is alight with Tasha Tudor images. What fun!

We all need to choose more wisely...good advice.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I love Tasha Tudor too!

I forgot about her day - maybe I'll post about it late!

Your day sounds lovely!

Deanna

Heather L. said...

Haven't managed to add a Tasha Tudor day into my celebrations yet. :) Can't think of a more perfect way to celebrate than to read that Victoria issue! Isn't it wonderful??!!!! The stuff of dreams......I wish I could write children's books like Tudors.

Anonymous said...

I have also been a Tasha Tudor fan for years. For a real treat, look for her cookbook. It has many "from scratch" recipes with descriptions of occasions in which she made them (and of course, it's FILLED with her beautiful artwork!) Her Corgiville Fair book is one of my children's abolute favorites (my son has me read it to him over and over and over ...)!
Joy

Rebecca said...

Once again, I find myself sharing your sentiments and some similarities in circumstances and choices...

Anonymous said...

I needed this reminder on technology. I can spend way too much time on the computer and wonder why I don't have time for _______. I too am going to try a few days in the week with no computer.

Lori

Deb said...

Beautiful Tasha post Brenda.
I agree ~ Tea & Victoria magazine is a wonderful way to celebrate this special day!

Jane said...

Brenda, I see I could have emailed! Don't feel like you have to post my previous comment unless you want to. I really enjoyed your post today about Tasha Tudor!

Anonymous said...

Dear Brenda, I come to your postings as an antitote to the oh so many worldly, self-focussed sites out there. God bless you; I am in agreement with your distraction on computor comments! Must close mine down two days per week! MJ.

Karen Andreola said...

When I first read "Drawn from New England" in the 1990s, written by Tasha Tudor's daughter about her mother (Tasha's) life, I was charmed. Thirty-eight years ago I had visited, with my friend, an old woman like Tasha. Her name was Mrs. Mustard (really). Her little New Jersey house was perched on a steep knoll at the edge of a stream in the woods, which gave it a tree-house feel. She had a deep pantry lined with jars, wool for knitting in baskets all around the house, old creaking floors and furniture. We turned the crank to make homemade ice-cream. I don't remember seeing a TV anywhere. Mrs. Mustard drifted out of my memory but returned when I read "Drawn from New England."
I'm unplugged, too, completely, at least one day a week.
Karen A.