Friday, April 06, 2012

Happy Easter... a blessed Passover

The dogwood at twilight last night

My refrigerator is stuffed far more than usual as I await preparations for the Easter meal.  Christopher and Miss M. will attend her church in the town where she lives and then drive here for our Easter celebration.

This menu... along with Thanksgiving... is set in stone.  The Easter meal is always...

Ham
Creamy Cheese Potatoes
Broccoli Casserole
Corn
and
Cherry Cheesecake Dessert

I also make deviled eggs when Christopher will be here.  Hubby doesn't care for them and I can eat a dozen alone!  I always think of my mother when I make them, she loved them as much as I do and made them often as a thrifty addition to many meals.

While autumn is my favorite season, spring is a close second.  After a long winter (in normal years), it seems we have scents and scenery overnight.


One of my favorite scents is lilac, these gorgeous flowers were given to me by my friend Linda.  I drove to her house for coffee a few days ago, our first coffee time in ages.  We always bring each other books and sometimes craft ideas (she calls it exchanging our clutter).

This time she also sent lilacs home, two different colors as you can see from the picture.  They blossomed very early this year and we've had frost since then (and more freezes in the forecast).  But even then they still are pretty.  They don't last very long so I often bend over them to memorize their scent.  :)


I've thoroughly enjoyed the pretty bunny I found at Goodwill.  Some asked if it was homemade, it could have been easily but it still had a tag from a craft boutique on it.  I have never had a problem with bringing whimsy into Christmas or Easter (I have a lot of Miss Potter style imagination).  I just make certain equal time is given to the True Meaning of the Holidays.


The buffet looks very pretty today, with the morning sun coming in through the lace curtains.  My dining area is the one place I can be as girlie in my decorating as I like.  Hubby has long ago stopped rolling his eyes although he does ask once in awhile if I really need another teacup.  :)

Soon the dining table will be dressed for Easter with a favorite lace cloth and Great Grandmother's Victorian china will be displayed in all its' springtime beauty, just as my mother-in-law did each Easter.  The garage sale vintage silverware is all ready to attend the party, too.

So... I wish for you a happy Easter, rejoicing Resurrection Day, and a blessed Passover now.  I'll return on Monday, hopefully with a post about recently read books (two months worth since I forgot a month).

12 comments:

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Happy Easter to you, Brenda, if a little early today!
I am always intrigued when you say things that show me that the timing of plant bloom in your area is so different from mine. I feel as if we are in a similar climate zone, but no lilacs are in bloom here, yet. (I wish!) Perhaps Lake Erie, even though we are 35 miles south, is having an influence. So interesting.

Marge said...

And a Blessed Easter to you, Brenda!

Angela said...

Those lilacs are gorgeous! I love your Easter plans and hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Elizabeth said...

Wishing you a Blessed Easter! I love your cups!

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter.

That's a gorgeous photo of the dogwood tree by moonlight.

One can never have too many teacups :)

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Your plans sound wonderful, and so does your menu! I love deviled eggs!

Our lilacs are just started to bloom...I hope I get more than last year! I love them too, and I like how you said memorize their scent...

Have a wonderful Easter!

Deanna

Gumbo Lily said...

The buffet does look lovely with the light streaming through it. Miss Bunny looks happy in her place. I love lilacs. Ours are not even close to being in bloom yet.

Happy Easter.
Jody

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Ahhhh... to think you are enjoying lilacs for this holy season celebration.

We had a big blizzard here yesterday, so no signs of lilacs or anything else at present. But the suns is alive and the birds are enjoying their scavenging in our garden.

It was a real treat to come and visit.... wishing you a beautiful remembrance and celebration!

Carol said...

Happy Easter to you, Brenda and your family!!! (in MD)

Linda said...

What a lovely Easter post!

Happy Easter to you and yours - because He LIVES!!

Lydia said...

Amen

Heather L. said...

Lilacs are one of my favorite scents too. I have enjoyed my own bush this year -- the one my dad gave me when Laura was born. It has grown well, and I've put the blossoms by my bed throughout the blooming season. I just wish cut lilacs would last longer than they do.