Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Ready to build an ark?

Great Grandmother's china, Easter last year
This has been such a soggy spring!  We've been under flood warnings for weeks and I haven't been able to plant anything in the garden, even the lettuce seeds which can go in a few weeks before the last frost.  So far in the herb raised bed, I have seen thyme, the Italian oregano, and the apple mint is healthy and spreading.

With the rising cost of food, I'd like to extend our garden this year.  I wanted to serve asparagus for Easter dinner but it was just too expensive (the sale price was $2.99 a pound).  

Speaking of Easter... we had a very nice time with Miss M. joining us this year.  I thought we were going to be alone but the two young people changed their plans, having an afternoon holiday meal with us instead of traveling with her parents. Christopher had to go back to campus and study Sunday night.

The table looked lovely with Great Grandmother's china and my Noritake smoked goblets which actually match my wedding china.  The traditional Easter meal was served that I've made for years and Miss M. brought a green bean casserole (which is one of hubby's childhood favorites). 

A very generous friend shared her extra memory card with me (and a couple other goodies for the kitchen!) so the camera was available... but I FORGOT to take pictures until the table had been cleared.

I blame it on sleep deprivation, I've been staying up late and/or getting a call around 3:00 to 4:00 in the morning when Christopher is starting home from campus.  He has firm instructions to call us if he is very sleepy when driving.   Since he plans to share an apartment with two of his best friends next school year, I may not have the "joy" of finals weeks again.  Stephanie had many late nights at the end of semesters, too!

An update on my computer bugs... it appears they have all left the laptop and I had no trouble starting the computer this morning.  When I told Christopher about the screen which appeared when I started the computer, he (being a computer type person) was very concerned the bugs had damaged the hard drive... so you can imagine my relief when that Windows insignia appeared.

War has been declared once again with the ants!

4 comments:

Anita said...

I enjoy hearing about Christopher and Miss M. It's so nice they shared Easter dinner with you and your Grandmother's china!

Amanda said...

The asparagus in our area was on sale for $1.77 a pound. I had to get some as it is hubby's favorite. Unfortunately, Easter occurs too early in our Northern climate for our family asparagus patch to be productive. But once it is, you can bet we will be eating a ton of it!

Vee said...

I think it's time to get some ant traps for my place. This is my second warning. I haven't seen one yet, but I want to take care of it before I see one. Once you see them...

Glad the laptop didn't become an ant picnic. Sounds like a very pleasant Easter for you all.

Hope that the rain stops so you can get your garden in. It's raining here all week and I'm flustered by it because it means the basement continues to flood. That's the worst of it, I guess.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

We have had a lot of rain, too, but probably not as much as you. We have had chilly weather mostly, until this week which is in the 80's!

Glad you had such a nice Easter - your china is beautiful.

Try to stay dry!

Deanna