Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Christmas at my house... part three

Brrrr... it is cold here.  I about froze my giblets walking down the gravel lane to the rural mailbox.  Not to mention the layer of ice under the snow.  At least the snow offers traction, it can be a skating rink when the snow melts and then refreezes.

I fixed homemade baked macaroni and cheese for dinner last night and assembled cinnamon roll dough in the bread machine.  By the time it finished, I was quite tired so I let the dough slowly rise in the frig again overnight.  It will very soon be rolled out and transformed into cinnamon rolls.

Today I'll share kitchen pictures and a couple snowmen pics.


Those Christmas bulbs in the hanging basket are just inexpensive plastic bulbs purchased at a thrift store a few years ago.  I figured they were not only light but would be safe if they dropped in the sink if one of the tall men in my life runs into them.  :)



When Stephanie asked if I wanted the rolling pin above, I think there was a split second between her offer and my saying YES!  I had just the place for it, as you can see.  I wasn't certain it would fit on the vintage holder but it snuggled in just fine.

Most of these items stay out all year.  Red makes me happy.  Just a few actual Christmas items here and there make the area more festive.


The two miniature vintage utensils stay out all year, too.  Both of them along with the snowmen window were purchased at the 75% off sale at Cracker Barrel last year.


I've shown you my cookie cutters before and you may have seen Mr. Snowman cookie jar in past December posts.  He is actually musical (plays a Christmas tune when his hat is lifted).  It was a gift from my Jewish neighbor-friend, Sheila... back when our boys were little guys and my cookies were famous throughout our former neighborhood.  :)

My small snowmen are mostly displayed on the hutch in the living room.  The oldest snowmen in my collection are among these guys.




The three snowmen above were hand painted by my dear friend, BB (aka: Belinda, Beebs).  They are displayed even when I don't get many decorations out that year. 

Ummmm... excuse me while I go straighten the pictures around the hutch.  Sheesh...

11 comments:

Nanna said...

looks good! I'm slowly decorating, sooo need to hurry before its' all over with lol
Helen

Vee said...

Oh you made me laugh right off the bat this morning. I had come straight from Cait's...she's freezing in Wales... and to find your corner still so cold surprised me a bit. Well, that jet stream is pulling at lot of Siberian air down here now isn't it?!

Love the picture of your kitchen sink with the snowy world beyond. Would you believe there's not a lick of snow left on the ground way up here? Don't hate me because it is splendidly cold.

Enjoy those cinnamon rolls...wish I were there to enjoy one with you and have a chat.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Oh, Brenda, thank you for taking the time to show us more and more of your Christmas decorations. What a happy feeling they give your home. I've got to try and do something here! I don't seem to have a big incentive this year since we are going to PA to be with my younger daughter and her family this year. But this will probably be the third day I am mostly stuck in the house because of the snow, so I think I MUST get some of the decorations out and make it look more like Christmas!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Great snowmen! I especially like those last three...very cute faces.

I use red in my decor, as you do, and it makes it easy to decorate at Christmas time doesn't it?

Oh, the ornament balls in the hanging basket are so cute! Great idea!

Anonymous said...

Your place looks so festive and cozy! I could snuggle right in there for a long winter's nap! Ha!
Laura

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Crooked pictures or not... your place looks cozy and inviting! LOL

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your home with us. :) Makes me want to sit and have tea & a chat with you.

Have a blessed day!

Lori

Lallee said...

Brenda, I enjoyed the tour of your home. It looks so warm and inviting and festive. Victoria looked so sweet all tucked in with the tablecloths. The kitties always find such interesting places to nap!

Super Single Mom and Her Side Kids said...

I am laughing so hard about you freezing your giblets off LOL Too funny!

Anita said...

Love your snowmen!

Marie said...

Brenda, I love those vintage red and white potholders with the rose center. I have looked everywhere for that pattern with no luck. My mother had some very old crochet books and I thought I would find the pattern there but had no luck. If you ever see that pattern, Let me know.
Thanks, Marie