Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Books read in August

August continued to be a very busy month but I was able to get in a little more reading than the last couple of months.  This was the month I also started getting back to the library to peruse cooking and decorating books.  :)

Jillian Dare by Melanie Jeschke
I've already written about Melanie's Oxford Chronicles and how much I loved those three books. 

Jillian Dare is based on the story of Jane Eyre from a modern perspective.  I am always cautious of a modern retelling of a classic book but this one is wonderful and is told from the perspective of a young Christian (as are the Oxford Chronicles) but still retaining the hauntingly beautiful story that is Jane Eyre.

I am often asked about novels young people would like.  I highly recommend all of Melanie Jeschke's books for ages high school and older.  My husband read Jillian Dare before me (one of those instances he had no book to read and I handed him one from my stack)... yes, he liked it a lot.  :)

Flight to Heaven by Capt. Dale Black
I had just started this book in July and decided to write about it this month.  As I mentioned then, I read it on the advice of a friend whose book recommendations I trust.

Flight to Heaven is the true story of a man who, at age 19, was in a plane crash and not expected to survive.  He was miraculously brought back to life but while his heart was stopped, he traveled to Heaven and shares what he saw there.

There are a couple of things that make this book different than similar stories I've read.  First, Capt. Black did not feel free to share his experiences until later in life.  I believe he was around sixty years old when he wrote this book.

The second, while what he saw in Heaven was interesting... and frankly why most people buy this book... the real strength of the story is in the autobiography of the man's life since then.  After experiencing such a difficult period of illness recently, I needed to read the story of a man who had gone through great adversity only to have it be the stimulus of his life and faith.

This is not another "gone to Heaven and back" book.  Rather it is a story of courage and commitment to the Lord... excellent for anyone going through struggles.

Tea Celebrations by Alexandra Stoddard
It was a good day when I found this Alexandra book on the shelves of the thrift store!  If you've read this blog for long, you know how I enjoy most of her books.  Tea Celebrations tells the story of her early tea parties with her mother (who gave amazing tea parties in "high society") and how various tea celebrations have become essential to her life through the years.

This is not a tea party how-to book (although it has a few recipes and ideas) but more about the philosophy of tea parties.  A perfect book to curl up with with a cup of tea and a snack to read and reread.

A View from the Porch Swing by Becky Freeman
This book was given to me by a friend who is unloading books while she prepares for a move (been there!).  I'd read it long ago but enjoyed a quick reread in the midst of busy-ness.

A View from the Porch Swing is written in the humorous style for which the author is noted.  It contains many stories of her striving for simplicity in the chaos of family life.  It is one of those books that does not contain deep advice or any how-to-live-simply ideas but each chapter helps you realize you truly do "read to know you are not alone".  :)

Betty Crocker's Kitchen Gardens
Kitchen Gardens has been on my coffeetable for at least two months now (I just tucked it away for the winter).  This is a wonderful book for anyone who enjoys growing herbs and a few veggies.  I have already written about it before but you know it is enjoyable and helpful when it has been reread for over two months.

Library Reads
The $5.00 Dinner Mom by Erin Chase and
Giada's Kitchen by Giada de Laurentiis

Both of these books had interesting recipes but neither is one I'd put on my Amazon Wish List.  Worth checking out of the library, though.  :)

2 comments:

matty said...

I am with you about the tea books! I love looking at the pictures! It is inspiring to see such grace and style -- especially in simplicity!

Vee said...

Hmmm, always interesting to read a book review here. I'm intrigued by the retelling of Jane Eyre and mostly because your hubby read it and liked it. That's got to count for a lot, right?