Thursday, April 29, 2010

Keeping on keeping on...

 The kitchen window
where I do my best thinking

I planted the "good enough" herb garden today... not perfect... but good

Hubby finished the first of the three small garden beds last night just as the sun was setting.  He filled it with soil from a nearby dry creek bed (having received permission from the owner last year to "take all you need").  I was able to plant it today with apple mint, lemon verbena, lemon balm, thyme, and basil.  I know the apple mint will expand... that's okay.  I hope it will but not until next year.  :)

If you get a chance to watch the Franklin Springs Homestead Blessings: The Art of Herbs, you will know what inspired me to start growing apple mint.  I'm only hoping mine will be that prolific and have plenty (eventually) for apple mint iced tea.

I'm thinking the second of the three small raised beds will be planted with herbs except for mint (if not this year then hopefully next spring).  The third has been planned for strawberry plants but that may wait until next year, too.

The larger raised beds are planted with a few cool weather veggies, various tomatoes, and green beans.  Pictures will follow although they look rather pathetically small right now.  I was quite shocked by the "before" and "after" garden pictures last year.  :)

As I told a friend recently, I decided not to grow any type of squash this year as it tended to take over the entire raised bed.  Should hubby get the other two raised beds done in time, I may plant squash in them.  Just taking it as it is available this year...

Weakness and fatigue continues to be an issue after the winter of illness.  However, as I have been working on the lawn and garden, I pray for the strength to continue on and to "do that which is before me"... that which must be done in a timely manner.  I look now at what has been accomplished and give Him all thanks.

I was listening to the last ten minutes of Ravi Zacharias' program on NRB last night.  The speaker (one of his staff members whose name I forget at the moment) was talking about being asked at one time if he could be argued out of his faith.  He thought of it for a moment and said he could not... for he had met the Lord and knew Him as a Person and not a set of ideas which could be argued away.

That is the way I felt today as I was doing dishes at the sink, the breeze blowing in through the window, and gazing at the flowers on the deck.   All I gave was a rather weak body and a strong will to have a garden and flowers on the deck.  He provided the strength, the seeds, the plants, the provision, the sun, the soil, the rain... everything. 

9 comments:

matty said...

May your week-end be sunshiney and full of pep!

Linda said...

All herb gardens are perfect, because they have herbs in them. It sounds lovely to me, I love lemon verbena. The one I have is a bush size, and I have another smaller one. Maybe they are different in each country, not sure.

I don't think I could be talked out of my faith.

Is there any way of growing your pumpkins over a shed or out on a lawn or something?

Heather Anne said...

good for you - I am so glad you are getting your garden in! Somehow I am not getting outdoors to garden as much as I would like, but that's because baseball has taken over our home!!! Perhaps next week I have time for weeds and plantings! My herb garden is thriving despite my neglect - if we were neighbors I would dig up my extras for you!

Anonymous said...

No need to hurry about planting your garden. Here in Canada it's not really warm enough to plant until about the middle of May and our gardens produce well in spite of the shorter growing season.
Your post reminds me of a poster that said "Bloom Where You Are Planted." We have been given many gifts and one of the greatest ones is Faith.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Lovely Brenda.

I knew right away why you were growing apple mint! :)

All we are required to do each day is what the Lord gives to us to do that day. Many times we think we must be doing so much more...we can trust God to know what we are able to do, and of course that is always just what He wanted for us to do.

I admire your work in the garden and in your home, with the illness you have had!

moreofhim said...

You have such beautiful thoughts. Once again, I am blessed and inspired by your words. I hope you will be feeling stronger and better; I will be praying for you!

God bless you - Julie

Lisa Z said...

Brenda, I usually don't "push" my health ideas on anyone but your fatigue problem just compels me to ask if you've ever tried green smoothies? I saw the idea on a couple of blogs and have challenged myself to have one for 30 days. And I have so much energy and feel awesome! Like, unbelievably...Basically it's a fruit smoothie with any kind of leafy greens added to it. They taste good, too. You can find out more on Sarah's Happy Foody blog--you'll like her and her family, Christian homeschoolers traveling in an RV.

Here's the link: http://happyfoody.com/

Just search for "green smoothies"--she has a video and everything.

PJ Geek said...

I'm planning to plant mint , cilantro, basil,and maybe chives because those are the things I love to mix in to salads and foods. I had a pot of oreagano last summer and it's already grown back--did not know it was a perrenial. I will have to check out apple mint. Sounds like a wonderful planting day.

Anonymous said...

You are the reason I now have apple mint in my herb bed. I ordered the Franklin Springs Herb DVD after you recommended it and I was not disappointed. As I am working in my herb bed this year, I will be saying a little thank you and prayer for you.