Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday Afternoon Tea


I feel rather decadent, having shopped at Goodwill and a book sale in the same weekend.  However, I'm very thankful that I had a little extra cash just when wonderful books and vintage items were available.  Both are important items in creating the atmosphere I love in our home.

Isn't it true that we all need a sense of place, where we can walk through a door and feel there is nowhere in the world which makes us feel quite as comfortable and content. Our Lord understood our desire for Home. He tells us He is going to prepare a Place.  I must admit to more than a little time pondering about my Eternal dwelling place.  Imagine one that is created by a Master Carpenter and Designer who knows us more than we know ourselves.

I'm certain when I step through the front door of that Home, I will know for the first time that sense of truly belonging... for this will be my destination and the one Place my heart has desired all these years.

Whether it is an entire house or our half of a room we share, we so need a place to call our own.  The world today is in such chaos, not to mention everything seems to be changing every day.  If nothing else, I can't keep up with technology.  Since our son is taking the Buick on his vacation, we're using his little car.  I stopped by Culligan to purchase bags of water softener salt yesterday and had to have the men put the heavy bags in the back seat because I couldn't figure out how to open the trunk of his car... sigh.  :)

My home is a place where I have some amount of control, in which the way it is decorated can bring peace and calm and a sense of vintage past (at least my style).  It is my responsibility (and those who live with me) to keep it as clutter free as possible.  There are seasons when home just gets messy because people (and at least one animal) live here.  Especially when we've been ill or other experiences of life which take us off our normal routines.  But we try to get back to a sense of order so we can enjoy our surroundings... except just closing the door of my son's room.

There is a reason there are those (often women but a few men here and there) who love making their home a canvas for their creativity.  God created... and we are made in His image.  He planted a garden and placed in the heart of men that desire for Place.

When we come across beautiful china at a price we can afford, place books on the shelf to be enjoyed, set the table with a lace tablecloth, serve milk from a pretty pitcher instead of a carton at the breakfast table, sew beautiful curtains, make our bed with a pretty cover, bake a pie to be served with tea, awake to the aroma of bacon and eggs and coffee made by someone we love... all are just a shadow of the Beauty which is to come in the Home which will be forever ours, in whose City the Builder and Architect is God.

Until that day when perfection is possible, we just enjoy the journey and the contentment that can come with creating a sanctuary for ourselves, family, and friends... that place where one can leave the world behind feeling warm and cozy and safe.  In the midst of imperfect people and difficult circumstances, we choose to use those God given gifts to provide a sense of His presence.

Never underestimate the importance of a domestic missionary, with an apron around her waist, love in her heart, and wisdom in her words.  :)

17 comments:

Vee said...

Those last words are yours and not a quote? May I be so bold as to collect it for my quote book giving you proper credit, of course? It's wonderful!

Until I began visiting Blogdom, I always felt guilty for wanting my home to be attractive and nice. We had a pastor who constantly said, "Don't pad your pad."

So this post, and so many of your others, is very refreshing to me.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Yes, they were from my coffee inspired brain this morning. :)

I am so glad that I had mentors (through books) like Edith Schaeffer, Emilie Barnes, and Anne Ortlund when I was a young wife.

All three taught that it is not only natural for us to want beauty in our home but it is God Given.

Scrappy quilter said...

I love this post. You always make things incredibly beautiful with such little funds. You truly are an inspiration. Hugs

Carol said...

That was a beautiful post.

(MD)

Connie said...

I believe too that we may have beauty and beautiful things in our home and surroundings. We just must not hold on to tightly to them. We should always strive to give our best and do our best with the things God blesses us with.
I think that pleases Him.
Enjoy your post.

Beth said...

How sad that Vee had a pastor who said "don't pad the pad". He truly didn't understand a person's need for order, not chaos. In face, didn't the Lord bring order out of chaos? I had a pastor who once said (really in reference to wearing make-up, but it applies here) "if the barn needs painting, you paint it, don't you?"

I think it is important to remember not to worship our surroundings, making the things around us more important than the people around us. I do not think that is what Brenda means in this post at all. But the serenity that comes from being comfortable in our dwelling place is truly a gift from God, enabling us to have that quiet place to worship Him.

Anonymous said...

...a domestic missionary! Now, THAT'S inspiring! Savoring those words this week...

Denise in Dallas

Terra said...

The last sentence is so wise and cute, at the same time.
Yes, it is sweet to find bargains and to make our home a homey, welcoming place to spend time in.

Anonymous said...

A domestic missionary!! That's me! I am putting that in my journal. Thank you Brenda!

Friend Debra

barbara said...

During our Lenten bible study, we are being encouraged to think about our ministries.
I always felt that my own ministry is in caring for, and making a comfortable home for my family. Nowadays when many people would say that is old fashioned, I thank you for validating this.

Susan Humeston said...

What an apropos title - "Domestic Missionary" - well done!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I love the last paragraph as well as your phrase "domestic missionary."

Susan said...

Hello, I've only commented here once or twice. I live in Switzerland, and I'm not sure how I found your blog, but I really enjoy it.

This post is just what I needed to read today, and ponder this week. Especially as I learned yesterday that a dear friend has lost her battle with cancer and is in Heaven with the Lord. She excelled at home-making and I'm wondering what type of "home" the Lord prepared just for her.

Thanks again for blogging, and God bless.

Heather Anne said...

Never underestimate the importance of a domestic missionary, with an apron around her waist, love in her heart, and wisdom in her words.

Can I stitch that on a sampler? You've just summed up my life long vision of motherhood so beautifully - I love your coffee inspired thoughts!

Heather L. said...

So glad Stephanie could get to that conference -- it sounds so good!!! I'm waiting on our library getting Sarah's book, but maybe I could request Inter-library loan.

Found a Limoge china plate at a thrift store this weekend for 80 cents. :) Nice and springy with pink blossoms. Am having trouble finding spring and summer-colored wool sweaters to make into flowers. Maybe with Goodwill's 50% off this Saturday I will find some more.

La Tea Dah said...

A lovely, lovely post --- home = a sense of place. So true! And it is the little details that help make it so.

LaTeaDah

myletterstoemily said...

thank you for blessing vee, because
she is my patron saint of blogging.

i have always known as deeply as a
pastor feels called to the ministry,
that i was called to the home.

my home has been a hospital, chapel,
sanctuary, and battle field numerous
times. (in battle field, i mean, fighting
against the powers of darkness)

blessings,
lea