Monday, March 15, 2010

A chilly and raw Monday

I remind myself that spring begins officially this week even though snow is in the long range forecast.  Which isn't unexpected... some of our biggest snow and ice storms come during high school basketball sectional times. 

If I remember correctly, there is a scene in Hoosiers (a wonderful movie) where cars and buses are making their way to their state tournament finals... a scene which repeats itself throughout all the Midwest.  It would have been even more realistic if there had been a little ice here and there....

Before I know it, the trees will bud and a few hot days will cause leaves and daffodils and rhubarb to "pop".  Why is it that the black and white sculpture of trees against blue sky which I adore in January can make me sad in March? 

The turn of the planet, the placement of stars and sun in the sky... all internally tell me it is time for a change of seasons.  By October I will once again look forward to chilly nights and pullover sweaters.  :)

I lived vicariously through the miracle of the cell phone as Stephanie attended the Mother Heart conference in North Carolina and then stayed in Williamsburg, Virginia overnight.  We shared a moment of distress when she couldn't find her Emma DVD and the next day shopped together in the quaint stores near historical Williamsburg... someday hoping to tour them together in real life.

I may mention that time was spent on the cell phone as she made her way in the rain one evening, down dark unknown roads on another, and driving into the City (New York area) the third night... fortunately I was asleep and didn't know it took her until the wee hours of this morning to arrive home.  I'm certain her family was thrilled to see her and she is quite refreshed (with the possible exception of all that driving).

It was fun to hear so many of you came up to her as she sat with Sarah Clarkson at their book table, to tell her they recognized her from this blog and her own poor neglected online journal.  Okay, so she's expecting her fifth baby and getting a house ready to sell and now showing the house... not to mention homeschooling children... who doesn't have time to write?  Stephanie tells me I must read Sarah's new book.

Speaking of this blog, my apologies to you who have sent me an e-mail this winter and not heard back from me.  I became so far behind when I was sick, I don't know if I'll ever catch up.  You are very welcome to write again as it will be easier to start writing back now that I'm better.

Thank you for your kind comments about yesterday's Sunday Afternoon Tea.  These were ponderings which had been on my heart this past week.  This subject is perhaps my deepest passion.  It is only in recent generations that society does not recognize the importance of the person making a home.  Perhaps that is why I love vintage children's books and readers which show neighborhoods as they used to be... not perfect as depicted but quite good.

This week I'll be posting a few recession style and pantry posts... God willing and the creek don't rise... which is possible with all the rain this past week.

Picture: Afternoon Light;allposters.com

4 comments:

matty said...

What is it about a raw day that makes one want to snuggle next to the fire? Sunshine yesterday, cold today. March is a fickle man, isn't he?

I love the Place posting from yesterday; so true!

Hope you are having a lovely day in spite or despite the sullen weather!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've been enjoying your blog and music for awhile now. I really like your recent post on HOME! I read your idea for a quiet time basket and went right to the thrift store to find that our caring God had a pretty mauve one waiting for me! How Good He is! It ended up lined with an eyelet runner with decorating magazines, because I remembered one in the attic perfect for my quiet time by my chair! All is better clutter free! Thanks, and bless you! --Beth

Woman of the House said...

Your statement about until recent generations homemaking was considered important rang true to me. I've been wanting to make a post on that very topic myself, and now I have, and I quoted you! http://womanofthehouse-blog.blogspot.com/2010/03/housewifery-101.html

Thank you for the impetus to get my thoughts down "on paper."

Anonymous said...

What is sad too is hearing on other blogs younger people write in saying the precious times we lived through never happened as we say they did. They cannot believe that the times we had just like shown in Leave it to Beaver shows did happen. We did go out on our bikes for hours or stand and watch men did ditches around town and come back home at lunch time or dinner. We did bow our heads in prayer in school. We did show respect to our parents, policemen and our teachers...and other older people in our lives. We didn't even hold hands in the hallways in highschool. But we did hold hands with our little girlfriends when we walked down the street even swinging them as we walked. We would walk and giggle together about silly boys and what doll we hoped to get for Christmas. Times have changed and hardened but those sweeter times did exist and no one can make me say different. We who are older are not embllishing what actually happened. I feel so blessed to have known that life. Jodi