Thursday, December 10, 2009

Update

Thank you for all your well wishes and prayers. My brother-in-law's heart had stopped in the ambulance and they revived him. He is now in Intensive Care on life support. I was able to see him in the emergency room and I talked to Bonnie for awhile, telling her she had to tell him it was okay to go.

For the first time, she did just that. There was not a dry eye in that room as she told him she knew he was tired and that finally she was able to say he could leave. This time she knew he would not revive as he had before.

I left the hospital when they moved him to Intensive Care with promises from my niece to call me any time, day or night, when he has gone.

I talked to my sister, Jean, in Florida. She lost her husband (aka: The Old Coot and Uncle Gibby) last year in the fall so she knew what Bonnie is going through.

It is something we expected but still difficult, especially for Bonnie, their kids, and grandchildren. Yes, they are old enough to be my parents although they would have been very young. Bonnie was the second youngest of my mother's seven children from her first marriage (she was widowed in her 30s).

I'll go on with a few posts I have ready to go but I'll write another update when my brother-in-law has passed. I hope they don't keep him on life support indefinitely. Bonnie and I talked about living wills... I told her my request if I was in this position... throw my body in the river 'cause I'm outta' here. :)

8 comments:

Susan Humeston said...

I'm with you - throw my body anywhere - I won't be in it. After 50 years of marriage, even with his so sick, it is going to be very hard for Bonnie - thank God she has children and grandchildren - and you.

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Praying for you and yours, kind friend....

God cups you all close...

All's grace,
Ann

Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

Brenda, my sweet friend, I will be praying for your sister and family. You have been on my mind today and maybe because of this going on. I have written my post about how much your blog means to me. I'm so sorry Bonnie is going through this. Take care.

Tess Kincaid said...

I'm over from Trish's blog. My thoughts and prayers are with you, Brenda.

matty said...

Prayers for you and your family; it is very loving to let one so precious go home and yet so hard. I will be thinking of you all!

Warmly,

Matty

Abounding Treasures said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you Brenda and your dear sister and her family.

What a difficult time she's going to have losing her husband after 50 years of being together ... may the Lord strengthen all for the road ahead.

Blessings ...

Anonymous said...

Will remember your family to the FATHER...it is SO hard to go through this, no matter when, but I think especially so in winter. Most all of our kin have left us in winter.

Elizabeth

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I imagine it's hard to let go even when you expect it. My prayers are with you and your family.

Manuela