Friday, November 13, 2009

The end of autumn...

We are so enjoying the nice weather we've had the past week. The country roads have been filled with harvest equipment as well as flatbed trucks carrying grain to elevators. The rare dry spell has been truly a Godsend to farmers and those of us who need to do more outside work before the snow falls. Already cold rain is in the near forecast...

This is the time of year I hold each sunny sixty-degree day close to my heart, engraving in my memory the shades of green as they will very soon disappear into the grey-white-black of winter. The leaves are mostly on the ground now, once in awhile a flaming red tree appears out of nowhere as I'm driving to campus. I must ask my husband if that particular species is last to lose its' leaves or if we are just blessed... or both. (Hubby has a Master's Degree in Wood Science.)

I'm not really a winter person even though I do prefer cold to hot and playing in snow to walking by the lake in August. No, give me autumn instead... that magical season which every day must be a preview of Heaven's glory.

Already I have had to scrape heavy frost off the car's windshields, wishing I'd thought to grab a pair of gloves from the closet. The refreshing chill I enjoy while walking to the rural mailbox will become wind swept bone chilling cold before I know it... the slow jaunt will be replaced by a fast walk, peeking from the fur lined hood of my coat just enough to look each way for fast moving cars on a rural road.

There are very real indications that Christmas is just around the corner... real as opposed to commercial imitation signs of the Season appearing at the end of September in Wal-Mart. The Christmas tree farm has lights on in the barn deep into the evening and there is talk of Salvation Army kettles during the 6:00 news.

I continue reading as I rest each afternoon and gain strength. It is a good thing to be able to get back to cooking and keep up (at least keep up without getting behind) on the daily gotta-do's.

Christopher was finally able to get into the student clinic this morning, they confirmed the sinus infection and gave him a couple prescriptions. There is so much illness on campus they had to make room for him between other scheduled appointments. This has been a rough season for all three of my mold allergy sufferers and I'm certain they are looking forward to their immune systems strengthening... Vitamin C is doled out each morning and evening.

It isn't Heaven, yet. :)


Picture: Raking Leaves; allposters.com

8 comments:

Mary said...

I tried to write you a lengthy email regarding scented products and allergy flare-ups, but was unable to get through. Has your email changed?

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I just checked and my CTB&Me Hotmail e-mail Inbox has e-mails in it. It seems to be working.

Scrappy quilter said...

I love autumn too, however winter is my favorite season. It's good to hear you are feeling a bit better. Sometimes it's just nice though to be able to rest and read a few good books. Hugs..

matty said...

Brenda,

Sorry we didn't exhaust the rain from the storm coming your way. We certainly gave it our best!

Glad you are stronger every day! Take care of yourself!

Fondly,

M

Caitie & Bailey's mama said...

You must write a book, you have the talent, of that I have no doubt. I could easily picture in my head your description of autumn and the coming winter in this post; I loved it. I enjoy reading your daily posts, they bring comfort and calm to what can sometimes be a stressful day. The music is nice too. Take care. :)

Capresso coffee maker said...

I love autumn, I love the color of the leaves, spring is my favorite season. We need vitamin C to keep us healthy.

Anonymous said...

We had lots of rain, with the remains of Ida. But it seems to have finally brought out colors...they were so muted before the rain! LOVELY time of year. A bit chilly however and a good excuse to bake in the oven!! Enjoy the nice days that are left!!
Elizabeth

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Sounds like you're feeling better. Continue to go slow on "re-entering" life! C