Friday, November 13, 2009

5 Cities that Ruled the World, a review

Doug Wilson has written a very interesting book from the perspective of five cities... Jerusalem, Athens, Rome, London, and New York. Each chapter contains the history of each city and their influence on the world.

I should point out that this is not a comprehensive world history book. It obviously does not bring in Asian cities and cultures. However, I found it to be very good in showing the reader how these particular cities affected the world and for what reason.

For instance, some may not consider Jerusalem as important as the other cities but Wilson reminds us of its' religious significance (and I agree from both a historical and Biblical view).

It would be an excellent book to use by homeschoolers for high school history studies. I'd use it as a basis and bring in other materials relating to each city.

1 comment:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

That book is interesting...I will have to pick it up for my 10th grade daughter. It will add to our world history studies!

Thanks for your review!