Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The project I've been putting off...

Thank you for the very sweet comments. It's been a tough couple of weeks and you all are good medicine. :)

For Father's Day this year, I gave my husband what he needs most (that doesn't cost money)... doing my part to help organize the office.

I have a small file box in which I keep daily files I use quite often (I can write more about it later). However, I have lots of files in a drawer of the "big" file cabinet in the office. I figure I can cut them down once more, perhaps by 25%. That is just enough space to file overflow papers from the rest of the office (hubby hates clutter but the one place in his life where he holds on to absolutely everything... papers).

I have collected articles since I was first married about all aspects of homemaking and Christian living (mainly interests to women), children, creativity, gardening, decorating, Holidays, homeschooling, etc. I went through them a couple years ago but this time I need to tackle the homeschool files, as well as further sifting of old magazine clips and articles.

That is why I find myself right now with stacks of files, papers, and articles spread out on the family room floor. Of all my household duties, this is the part I dislike the most. I enjoy keeping the files... I do not love the sorting and filing. Especially going through them to discard what I don't want and/or need.

It was interesting when I went through my decorating pictures and articles the last time to see how my tastes have changed through the years. The same style I loved in the 80s and 90s is (for the most part) not at all what I like today. The only continuity through the years have been the use of greens and reds of various hues, lots of houseplants (or silk plants in high places), and an unexplainable passion for china of all kinds... the dishes, not the country.

A set of files I'd set up the last time were folders for recipes to land once they had been printed from the computer. I had files titled "Recipe Articles" and "Recipe Clippings" for magazines but I needed files for the printouts. Since I had them set up already, this time I just had to file what I'd printed out and want to keep for reference (but don't plan to try this summer).

The unexpected byproduct of this gift is finding articles I'd completely forgotten about. A handful of them have been set aside for later reading. Also, I have years worth of Laine's Letters which were printed out when she sent them and/or printed from the archives on her website (link on the sidebar). I think I'm going to 3-hole punch those letters and put them in a binder. I'll definitely be re-reading some of them.

I know this gift is one that is very much appreciated.

Picture: John Bull; allposters.com

8 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

What a beautiful and thoughtful gift to give your hubby for Father's Day. I love the idea.

~~Deby said...

oh..I sure do know how it is to get things that you put off...DONE...today..I did my GLH books..and of course had to blog about it..it feels so good to have that project lifted off me...now to press on to others..
deby

Marie said...

That is a nice gift to give your husband. I dislike going through files and trying to decide what to keep and what to get rid of. I always have my husband to go through things before I throw them out because I am always afraid that I will get rid of something that is important to him. I went through magazines the other week that I had put back and intended to read again or use a recipe out of. I broke down and took out a few recipes to save and just threw the magazines away.

Anonymous said...

Yes I recently went through stacks of magazines I thought I could never part with. Well when I looked through them and what I had marked in them I liked it was like looking at someone elses's magazines! I did find some ideas I clipped out but in general I parted with stacks of them taking them to the doctor's and other waiting rooms. Next I need to go through our files...etc. I am not looking forwarad to it but Need to be doing it too. Too much Stuff! :)This is a good idea for a present for my husband too to give him more room for his Stuff! :) Hope you keep feeling beter and better. Jody

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Lanie's Letters, did she just quit writing with no farewell or do you know what happened to her?

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

What a great gift! Organizing my office is on my to do list for a day when it's too hot to do anything outside!

Manuela

Vee said...

Oh dear...this is a job that I could finish as well. I started two years ago and left a marker for where I finished off. It's still sitting there in the "H"s. It's one chore that fries my brain and why that is I've not figured out.

Has anyone ever suggested to you that you have a wealth of information about all things homemaking and that you are an expert in your own right and that you might consider writing a book about it? If not, allow me to be the first. If so, allow me to add my voice to the chorus.

Glad that you are well on the mend...

comfort cottage said...

I started reading Laine's letters about ten years ago on the library's computer. I was so amazed at the internet back then. I printed out a few of her letters then and carried them around and read them over and over. Then we got our own computer and I printed every one of her letters. They took up two huge ring binders. They always inspire me to get going and see my home with love.