Wednesday, April 15, 2009

How Anchor Hocking saved my marriage

Pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them...

Years ago, back when the wonderful Virtue magazine was still alive, I read an article by Emilie Barnes about how easy it is to solve those minor irritations in our life. It was a simple and practical article and... life changing. I mean, really, why didn't I think of these ideas myself?

She had one go through their house and think of those little things that drive us crazy but can be solved with little time or money. For instance, when one needs a pen or scissors and they are never to be found. As she said in the article, it doesn't cost much (especially during the back to school sales) to have plenty of either throughout the house.

That simple one page article still crosses my mind from time to time, especially when I find a pen or a pair of scissors easily (except my sewing scissors, they are in my sewing basket and the family knows never to use them on paper!).

I have many such sanity savers throughout the house, especially in the kitchen. I also have what I call.... marriage savers. You see that Anchor Hocking jar, filled with brown sugar? Well, I quite often serve oatmeal for breakfast and my hubby drove me nuts when he'd scoop brown sugar from the large jar with a wet spoon. When I went to scoop out brown sugar for a recipe, it was so hard I had to chip off the amount needed.

Thinking of Emilie's article so long ago, I knew my solution was easy... place a small canister in clear view of said hubby. Of course, being me and all, it had to be pretty. A few weeks ago I was at Meijer's and placed this little beauty in my grocery cart.* It worked and this marriage was saved. Anyone who has been married more than five minutes understands.

* In my part of the country, these AH jars are available at Meijers (small sizes) and Target (large size only). Ruth Ann of Sugar Pie Farmhouse (formerly Warm Pie Happy Home) has an article about them on her website... here. She says they are available on Amazon. I'll have to remember that the next time I have a good amount of Amazon credit (THANK YOU to all who order through my widget... or those of my blog friends).

They are amazing jars! The large size is a little pricey but oh, so worth it. Except for the little jar I just bought, I used a Target gift card and a Meijer's gift cart to purchase mine. I think of both these gifts when I use them. :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dee from Tennessee

I have to 'fess up here....I'm afraid I have AH envy. I've looked and looked at our nearby Target over and over --- zip. I've looked on Amazon and we just can't afford them right now. Plus, I have NO counter space left, but that doesn't stop me from wanting them. LOVE THEM.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Brenda! I love all your red items! Especially the shelves! So cute!

I love these containers! I get mine at Target, and also save larger size jars w/lids, and simply remove the labels. I use them for storing pasta.

I appreciate all your great ideas!

Anonymous said...

I love the jars! You have a great blog. I have really enjoyed the articles on stocking up a pantry. That is my goal right now. I do have a question. Do you think for 3 people a deep freezer would be a good idea? I guess I think of people having big families using them.
THank you ,
Julie
thebouldins@yahoo.com
www.mirrorofgrace.blogspot.com

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

Don't you just love Meijer! I too have purchased these jars, only with the black lids, when re-doing my pantry and I love them. They do keep the brown sugar moist. I have used teacups in mine to scoop out the ingredients, helps stop any problem with a "wet" spoon!

Anonymous said...

I keep a small jar also with brown sugar in for when the Grandchildren need it for their oatmeal. Mine is not so pretty though...but I have some spray paint so I could paint the lid! For years I have kept a 1/2 cup measure in all my canisters. Sure makes for less clean up when a 1/2 measure cup is right there already. I got them all used. If you use a tea cup you can put a 1/2cup of something in it and mark where it comes to by using a white tape on the inside of the cup to mark the spot. Thanks for all the hints and thoughts Brenda. I go to your blog first thing. If you don't have a new post I check the comments to see any new ones. You have a great group of ladies. I have clicked on their blogs and learned more too. Your bloglist and pantry list and book lists etc haved really helped to enrich our life too. As always Brenda...you let your light shine. Jody

Cheryl (Copper's Wife) said...

I love your pretty red topped jars. I love, even more, the advice to take care of the little things that can cause stress in our homes. Several years ago I solved the master bathroom toothpaste battle (one of us insists on squeezing in the middle while the other insists on squeezing only from the neatly rolled up bottom of the tube. The solution was just a couple of bucks spent to buy a second tube of toothpaste!

Vee said...

It's just the simple things like this that help a home run more efficiently. Why is it that we are often unable to identify the problem much less the solution?
Interesting post!

Enjoy your new jars...

Robin Lambright said...

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Loved the post, great idea!

Blessings
Robin