Saturday, December 20, 2008

Saturday update

I survived a week of an icy commute! Since most of the Midwest (and lots of other areas of the country) had bad weather, I'm sure there are many who can commiserate. Thankfully, we made it to work and my son to his finals (and back) with no incidents. Most roads were not too bad once we made it into town. Country roads were um... interesting.

I was looking forward to sleeping in today. However, they badly needed all of us non-student employees so I agreed to work. Those students who are still in town all have finals today and they'll be leaving for home destinations (Mom and Christmas cookies) as soon as their finals are over.

I figured one more nine hour day is do-able and it is all OVERTIME. I'll take my box of tissues, my cold medicine, and Chap Stix again. There are lots of people with colds and flu (this weather will do it to you) and being finals week, no one can stay home. Plenty of germs floating around. I can do anything for five (six) days... well, almost.

My husband is working at one of the bookstore's remote locations so he hasn't had all the contact with sick people that I have... except Christopher and me. I can feel every huge textbook I've put away as well as every nine hour day but it is all worth it in the end. Even the teenagers were dragging by yesterday afternoon.

This is the only computer time I've had so I haven't been able to answer e-mails. As it is, I'd better hurry and get ready.

Off to work...

7 comments:

debbie bailey said...

Maybe you can rest tomorrow since it's the Lord's Day. Have a wonderful Christmas with your family and friends. Peace from God and prayers from Georgia.

Vee said...

Just one more day...one more unexpected day...praying that the Lord gives you every ounce of strength you need. When you get home with your take-out ;> may you have a wonderful relaxing evening and the sleep of the blessed overnight.

Anita said...

I'm so glad to know you all were safe driving Fri. I have a feeling your bright smile is a welcome part of the students day at the book store. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Patti said...

I dread the icy roads. Thankfully, I don't have to go out of the house much, but my husband does, and I'm always concerned about him.

Last Sunday, on our way to church, we did a 540. Not a fun feeling.

After having lived most of my adult life in Florida, where I never experienced snow or icy roads, I find myself yearning to live there again. I'm NOT a winter person at all.

Musings of A Minister said...

Wow! Looking out the window right now I can see a beautiful blue sky. The sun is shining and I feel like getting up and running outside. I miss the cooler weather and the hope of snow at Christmas time ( I grew up in Oklahoma) but when I read your story of the cold and hear about your colds, I am happy to be in Arizona. I pray that you will soon be over your cold and that you have a wonderful Christmas.

Kelly said...

Oh, I do hope you feel much better before Christmas arrives. God bless you and your family.

Abounding Treasures said...

Hope you feel better before Christmas Day so that you can enjoy it more fully with your family.

Blessings to you!