Saturday, September 20, 2008

Simple Living Saturday

I've decided to join in the Simple Living Saturday posts at the Keeper of the Home blog. This week the guest host is the Passionate Homemaking blog (both of which have been on my Bloglines for awhile).

Simple living... it is truly a goal each and every day. That goal is not always met but at least it offers boundaries to shoot for... like a budget. :)


Here are just a few bits of wisdom I'm still learning:

The more I learn to lean on God, the simpler my life truly is as a troubled mind and simplicity cannot dwell together.

Simplicity has a lot to do with learning to downscale what I think are "necessary" purchases and "must haves".
Frugality often coincides with simplicity but one can still have too much "stuff" purchased at thrift stores and yard sales. I have to often ask myself if I'm purchasing an item because it is cheap or if I truly need it or it makes my heart sing. Would I pay full price for it if I could?

Simplicity to me means saying no to time robbers and yes to those things in my life that feed the soul... Bible study, chatting with God throughout the day, reading great books, cooking in the morning when I have energy, baking so my family can have healthier snacks than what is found in stores, petting Sasha's soft fur, becoming so involved in a creative project that time flies by, friendly chats with my family... just to name a few.


Simplicity is much easier when I've put some thought into my day and covered it in prayer, especially taking the time to write my lists in my
scrapbook journal. :)

Simplicity is a goal that brings peace and calmness by my choices... in the midst of a world that has chaos and storms beyond my control.


I don't always find the destination of Simplicity but by striving for it, the journey becomes much richer and fulfilling than if there was no attempt at reaching that goal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said!

Vee said...

I'll be checking out those links at my earliest opportunity. Simplicity...it's time.

Anonymous said...

I started down the road toward simplicity some years ago, not fully realizing. God brought me there with illness, and today I can see the great gift of my illness. :) Seeking simplicity, I find myself.

Thanks for your post to remind me and inspire me.