Friday, July 18, 2008
There has to be a cheaper way
I was watching a TV commercial again last night, the one where a toilet bowl brush/cleaner is being offered that you can click and throw the brush away, never getting your hands dirty. Yeah, that one. I do use some disposable items but that one has not tempted me to purchase it, even when they have offered a very nice coupon to get the original kit. I have long had an aversion to those things that I must keep resupplying to use again.
(Although I do use and love my Swifter and I use the Swifter "thingies" for dusting. They serve a purpose other than just not getting my hands dirty, they really work to get up dust and uh... cat hair... lots of cat hair. I've even found store brands. But I digress...)
I was thinking of that commercial as I swished out the toilet in the bigger bathroom this morning. I don't even use the cleaner every time (even though commercials would make you think a squirt of dish washing detergent alone won't work). Now, I do use The Works on both toilets about once a month to give them a deep cleaning... and I don't get my hands dirty. However, I still remember the first time I just used dish washing liquid and my sturdy (non-disposable) toilet bowl brush and was quite surprised that the bowl... sparkled.
Hey, wait a minute! That is not what the commercials say. I'm suppose to buy something. There is always a new and improved product out there. Right... I've been trying to renew my mind about consumerism now for at least a decade. As I've mentioned before, I'm a recovering Yuppie. It took a decade but I've learned to look at the world through different lenses, those that were not made on Madison Avenue.
By the way, I added some pictures to the sidebar this morning. It was kind of interesting chatting with my daughter on the phone while working with Blogger but she has few opportunities to talk... at least with complete sentences. I found the CD that had our old church directory photo on it, which is what sparked a moment of creativity.
I'm 5'6" (used to be 5' 6-1/2" but I am shrinking it appears) and hubby is over 6'1. Christopher is now almost as tall as his dad. I take 99% of the pictures in the family and the other 1% aren't worth showing. Hmmm... hubby still looks a little like Harrison Ford here.
I'm using Blogger's "publish later" option for tomorrow's post, which has already been written (another Meme). So... that should give me some time to check my e-mails!
Photo: Make Yourself At Home; allposters.com
Posted by Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks at 2:36 PM