Thursday, March 13, 2008

What a beautiful day!

I can definitely come down with Spring fever on a day like today. Forget the fact that our highs over the weekend will once again be in the 30s... today it is 60!

My front porch is looking more like Spring, too. I have put away all the Winter decorations and brought out just a couple of Spring items. I also found a very pretty basket filled with silk "Spring" flowers at Goodwill earlier this week for only $2.99, which found a place on the porch table. I'll post a picture once I download all the "Kodak stuff" I need. One doesn't realize how much software there is on a computer until you start having to do it all over again.

Today is the first day I've been able to be off the sofa for any length of time. I slept most of the day yesterday. Since we're in Spring Break for both the University and the College, we've been able to sleep in just a bit each day. That has been helpful in getting over this bug.

Normally Christopher works full time on his days off from college but this week we felt he needed some "down time". He's taking a full load of difficult courses along with working part-time... on top of having the flu off and on this Winter, too. He's working full time on his regularly scheduled days but only four hours on the other days. He's been able to link up with his best friends a couple of times while they are on Spring Break, too. I think he'll be almost ready to get back to classes next week.

On Monday, he and his dad finished all the paperwork needed for his financial aid. They started the process online so it didn't take long when they had to see a financial counselor in person. With the high cost of college, anything will be a help!

Speaking of high costs... what about gas prices? Yikes! We passed by our regular gas station a couple of days ago and couldn't believe our eyes... $3.46 a gallon. Fortunately, we passed by another gas station a few minutes later that was still a... uh... "bargain"... at $3.19 and filled the car up. There were people in lines to do the same before this gas station raised their prices, too.

I'm certainly glad my faith for provision is in God and not mammon. My ponderings lately have been on surviving Recession and Inflation (having gone through this before).

Once again, if you e-mailed me within the past few weeks... I promise to get back. I really do enjoy receiving e-mails. There has been a lot going on in between bouts with flu!

6 comments:

Karen Deborah said...

Hi Brenda, Hope your feeling better. This flu is a very mean bug. We are seeing flu patients at the rehab where I work because they have been so wiped out. Some flu cases go into pneumonia, so be careful. Wash hands frequently and REST! I love your blog and we have so much in common. I'm a homeschooling, garde/animal/ grammie too. My kids call me Nana.
I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd be homeschooling teenagers.

em said...

Brenda,
Well, like everything else in this world cheap or expensive depends on what you compare with...
In Sweden we pay around 12 crowns for one liter that makes it about $8 a gallon!
It is terribly expensive but on the other hand it might be necessary to save our environment. I try to shop only once a week and think more than once before I drive any place.
Margartha

Betty said...

Brenda, I'm hoping that you are feeling better today. My youngest has had the flu at least three times this year. He would agree with you that he has had enough of the flu season.
I saw gas priced from 3.59 to 3.99 today. It is ridiculous. I'm thinking it will be $4. by Memorial day.

Unknown said...

Inflation and recession is on the way, yes? Good idea to be prepared, Brenda.

Vee said...

The temptation to worry is strong. The gas prices, the oil prices, the propane prices...sigh. That's why I appreciate your reminder.

Glad that you enjoyed such a beautiful spring-like day and glad that you are beginning to feel better.

Ahhh, I remember my niece doing those online forms for student aid just a few short years ago. Always a bit of stress there!

Enjoy that wonderful porch of yours...

Terri said...

Glad you are feeling better. I think we'll all be feeling better once spring arrives to stay! Take good care of yourself!
God bless.
Terri