Wednesday, March 05, 2008

A sign of spring!

I've written before about some of our, uh... unusual(?)... family traditions. One of them took place today. For you see, the robin is our family bird. What, doesn't every family have an official bird? I love the robin because it is so common we take it for granted, yet it is the sign that winter is almost behind us and it is beautiful. It's like aspirin, if it wasn't so common, we'd be aghast at the miracle of it all.

Anyhoo, my husband was looking out the back window, the one I usually spend so much of my day looking out, and he calls me to run into the kitchen... quickly! I look out said window and see nothing. He says he saw a robin. Yeah, right (remembering last year when he tried to tell me a female cardinal was a robin). So, he goes to the side window and looks out to see if the robin had made its' way there. He gets a big smile on his face and has me look out that window.

There... in a winter white world with five inches of new snow on the ground... still covering the bushes and trees... were at least forty or fifty robins. I have never seen anything like it before. I don't think I've ever seen that many robins together at one time. It was like God was telling us such a miserable, record-breaking winter like we've endured... needs an overwhelming sign that spring really is "just around the corner".

Oh, in case you are wondering... there is no reward for the family member who sees the first robin... just bragging rights. My husband is still talking about the year our son-in-law spotted the first robin (a couple years ago) while they were visiting. We do, however, have a Beanie Baby stuffed robin that sits in various places around the house (currently in the family room). I've always thought family traditions (even goofy ones) are very important. As for me, there is always next year. :)

7 comments:

Heather L. said...

My mom always made a big deal about seeing the first robin too! I just saw my first one of the year on Sunday -- usually it is earlier than this I think.

Anyway, if you have time, you can pop over to my mom's blog where's she just painted a carved wooden robin -- it looks very lifelike.

www.laurawinslow.blogspot.com

Sheri said...

I always get excited when I see the first robin too.
When I was child we had a late blizzard in northern Iowa.My dad found a Robin clinging to the rain gutter. He opened the door to our summer porch the little guy flew right in as though he read my fathers mind. Stayed there until the storm was over and the sun was shining then flew out and away.
Sheri

DebD said...

We've always loved looking for the first robin too! This year we were doubly blessed by an early visit from a small group of bluebirds! It was wonderful. The same day we also had a yard full of Robins, a few cardinals and woodpeckers.

I haven't seen them again since that day.

Quinne said...

Hi Brenda :) I love that you have a family bird - what a fun thing! Love to you, Q

Vee said...

Wow! What a hopeful sight that must've been. (I've been dreaming of robins, too.)

jules said...

Brenda, this must be some Michigan family tradition, as my Mom and I also have the contest. Now that I live in Mobile, Alabama, I ALWAYS see the first robin of the year! But...once in a while she's here in January, and she gets to see one first! We always call each other and say "I saw a robin!!!' It's a fun tradition for us too.

Misc. Muse said...

RObins out they must be freezing- I know I am! I loved those dishes I can't believe you got them at Good Will. blogspot isn't cooperating today so my pic isn't up yet.